Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Distortion Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxharr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently aqquired a dual rectifier 2 chanel from my cousin, the amp has been sitting for about 5 years and when I played it on it sounded terrible on the distortion channel, so I changed the tubes in the amp with Groove Tube Gold Series Tubes (both power and pre amp tubes) I did not change the rectifier tubes. The amp seems to be working fine on the clean channel, but as soon as I switch it to the dirty channel I have to turn the gain way up to 10 to get a decent sound out of it and it sounds way to fuzzy( it sounds almost the same as it did with the 5 year old tubes in it). Im not sure why it sounds this way as I changed out all of the tubes minus the rectifiers and it's still sounding terrible. Anyone know whats wrong?

To check the rectifier tubes just turn them off and use the silicon diodes that way they are out of the circuit. I dont think the rec tubes effect your tone they either work or they dont.

If the clean is working fine I wouldnt think anything was wrong with the preamp tubes.

Im drawing a blank on this.

Channel 2 distortion

presence- 2 oclock
bass- all the way up
mid- 11 oclock
treble- 12 oclock
gain- all the way up

if the gain is any lower then 2 oclock i get no distortion at all.

Im drawing a blank on this too, I mean I have played around with the tube configuration and nothing seems to change.

may have a bad screen grid resistor. Clutch71 (Dave) had a similar problem with his DR. He had to turn the gain WAY up to get a decent tone. Give him a PM, he's a great guy and will help you out some. Otherwise, take it to an authorized Mesa tech

If you turn the bass down to say 11:00 and the gain to about 1:00, what happens?

Elpelotero said:
may have a bad screen grid resistor. Clutch71 (Dave) had a similar problem with his DR. He had to turn the gain WAY up to get a decent tone. Give him a PM, he's a great guy and will help you out some. Otherwise, take it to an authorized Mesa tech

Migs beat me to the punch. I had a similar issue but the tone was not that bad, I just had to crank the gain to get a decent distortion that I got at about 1 oclock on other DR's. Wasn't fuzzy though. Your bass all the way up may be a factor. I took it in to a Mesa tech and a grid resistor was out. Cost me 60 bucks to fix.

On the tube issue...I actually put similar tubes in mine, gold series GT with GT EL34LS in the power section. Not sure If I didn't let them settle in enough but I prefered the now defunt silver series over the gold.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back