Dual Rec w/ OD sputtering on palm mutes? - FIXED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
I haven't played my PRS through my Dual Rec lately because I've been using it with another amp but I just recently noticed that ONLY on the lowest E string when I do a mute it sounds like the sound fades out, decays, the comes back in after about 2 seconds... it does not do this with my active pickups in another guitar with the same settings and only does it on the top string. It also doesn't do this without the pedal on.

I'm sure I'm driving something too hard here, what gives?

UPDATE:
Check last post.

Tubes- This happened to me a couple weeks ago- It was the V1 pre amp tube for me. But I have a single recto.

Interesting, I just replaced my V1 with a JJ ECC83S to try it out, this is the first time I actually used it with my passive pickups.. I will switch it out and put the Mesa back in to test, thanks for the tip.

Hmmm, replaced V1, still doing it. Only seems to do it on the open note. I have it detuned to D... maybe it's my pickup?

Platypus said:
Hmmm, replaced V1, still doing it. Only seems to do it on the open note. I have it detuned to D... maybe it's my pickup?

I was going to maybe suggest the pickup, especially since the note comes back. Sometimes if the pickup hight puts it too close to the string, it will have a tendancy to fade out then come back as the string vibration decreases. It can be too much vibration too close the pickup in the case of some guitars.

I have a PRS Custom 24 with the stock HFS in the bridge position. The bridge pickup is set about 1/8 inch below the low E string. I get a good balanced tone at this pickup hight with my PRS without any note degradation.

G.I.G. said:
Platypus said:

I was going to maybe suggest the pickup, especially since the note comes back. Sometimes if the pickup hight puts it too close to the string, it will have a tendancy to fade out then come back as the string vibration decreases. It can be too much vibration too close the pickup in the case of some guitars.

I have a PRS Custom 24 with the stock HFS in the bridge position. The bridge pickup is set about 1/8 inch below the low E string. I get a good balanced tone at this pickup hight with my PRS without any note degradation.

Interesting, I tried it with my neck pickup and it didn't do it. I replaced the stock bridge pickup with a really hot wound tremonti treble from PRS a while back. I'm not a guitar wizard so I really don't know how to go about adjusting this myself to any degree of accuracy. It really only seems to do this with my PRS and the pickup is significantly higher than the neck one.

Platypus said:
Interesting, I tried it with my neck pickup and it didn't do it. I replaced the stock bridge pickup with a really hot wound tremonti treble from PRS a while back. I'm not a guitar wizard so I really don't know how to go about adjusting this myself to any degree of accuracy. It really only seems to do this with my PRS and the pickup is significantly higher than the neck one.

You're bridge pickup shouldn't be set too much higher than your neck pickup. You can easily adjust the pickup hight by tightening or loosening the two inside screws on either side of the pickup bevel.

You should at least be able to eyeball it and guess where it should be. Setting the pickup hight dosn't have to be exact, because it varies with different pickups, but I would try lowering it a bit and see if that solves your problem.

Did you install the pickup yourself or did you have a tech do it? Wost case scenario is that it was wired out of phase, but that is not likely your problem. Try lowering the pickup then go from there.

pickup1.jpg

pickup2.jpg

for reference^

Is that a blue matteo Custom 22? :D

From the pictures it dosn't look like the pickup is set too high, but if it's pretty hot, it might not hurt to try lowering it just a tad.

Another thing I thought of is string gauge and tuning. PRS's have a 25 inch scale length so if you're doing anything in a drop tuning, you shouldn't be using strings that are too slinky. I would use at least 10's if you are going below standard E tuning.

What gauge strings are you using and what tuning is that guitar set in?

G.I.G. said:
Is that a blue matteo? :D

From the pictures it dosn't look like the pickup is set too high, but if it's pretty hot, it might not hurt to try

Another thing I though of is string gauge and tuning. PRS's have a 25 inch scale length so if you're doing anything in a drop tuning, you shouldn't be using strings that are too slinky. I would use at least 10's if you are going below standard E tuning.

What gauge strings are you using and what tuning is that guitar set in?

Yes it is :)

prs.jpg

prs2.jpg

Great point.. this only happens because my E is detuned to D (jamming out some tool) and I'm using 9-42's on it. I'll see if it happens in E

Bump to the top..

I turned off my OD pedal and ran the same setup and it sounds fine. With the OD pedal on it doesn't..

I turned down the volume on the OD pedal and the sound is much better but not 100% gone...

Is it possible to just drive my recto too hard? Will the power tubes make funky sounds like this because there is just too much gain, or is there no such thing?

Here is a clip of it in action:

http://platypus.memoryfire.com/22_prob.avi

Here is a clip with the volume turned down on the pedal a bit

http://platypus.memoryfire.com/22_prob2.avi

Please help? :shock:

I watched/listen to the vids. I hear what your talking about. Is your OD pedal battery or adapter operated? Maybe the battery is dead? Wrong adapter? Does it do it with another OD Pedal?

About driving the amp too hard.
I used a OD (Boss SD-1) pedal infront of my amp and all it did was bring out the mids/highs more. I tryed to see what happends if I REALLY!!! drive my amp, all I got was mircophonics from the preamp tubes. I never ended up with those sound decaying results.

Hope you get your problem solved.

MetalMatt said:
I watched/listen to the vids. I hear what your talking about. Is your OD pedal battery or adapter operated? Maybe the battery is dead? Wrong adapter? Does it do it with another OD Pedal?

About driving the amp too hard.
I used a OD (Boss SD-1) pedal infront of my amp and all it did was bring out the mids/highs more. I tryed to see what happends if I REALLY!!! drive my amp, all I got was mircophonics from the preamp tubes. I never ended up with those sound decaying results.

Hope you get your problem solved.

:(

No one can figure out what's wrong with this.. I've showed it to a lot of people and no one's heard of this.

The battery is new, I just put it in to try to fix the problem and it didn't work.

Interesting, just tried my TS9 with my normal settings and it didn't do it... if I boosted the level of the pedal up to noon along with the gain to noon it started to make that sound.. if I kept drive at 9 o clock and level at noon it was perfectly fine.

Can someone answer if it is possible to just drive an amp too hard and cause this problem?

I think I know the answer here, and if I'm right, there is technically nothing "wrong"

There is A LOT of feedback and hum in the signal.....since you are playing pretty low, it almost seems like the feedback is overpowering your signal, making it fade out.....then, once the hotplate noise gate cuts in, it cuts off the signal completely (it doesn't react fast enough, so there is that fade to hum then nothing)....

I think that is the answer.....a good noise gate should be able to solve the problem. Try the ISP noise decimator.

And about the larger drive from the pedals, the less you drive with the pedals, the less noise there is....once you turn it up, the feedback gets bigger and overpowers your signal very quickly....it doesn't allow natural decay as the noise cuts in before.

Hmmm.. why would it start happening all of the sudden though?

The only thing that I've changed recently is activating the loop control on my amp.... I usually never use it but when I got my delay I started to.

I should try to bypass it and see if the problem still happens.

Also, the feedback is huge there because I'm literally sitting on top of the amp, I usually play further back.

You may have an interesting theory though.. maybe someone can validate it?

It's happened to me before with too much feedback....you basically get no note decay because the overwhelming feedback kicks in.....are you playing in close range of a tv or monitor? I know when I have my TV on, it makes my amp hum like crazy.

Also, is the volume on your guitar up? The higher it is, the stronger the signal will be over the hum!

Try anything you can to single out the problem! Try backing off, and see whether it happens with reduced feedback! You said that without the pedal, it didn't happen....that is because the pedal adds alot of noise with the boost.....

Latest posts

Back