Dual Rec VS. Triple Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A.S.O.N.

Reaction score
Is there any sound difference between the two, or is it just that the dual is 100 watts and the triple is 150 watts.

They are identical other than the extra power as far as I know

Most prefer the sound of a dual over a triple since it is easier to drive the tubes but I like the headroom in my Triple and chose it over the dual.

I've owned both (sort of), and a single recto too (Rectoverb). I had a Triple Recto at first and then traded it for a Tremoverb (Dual Recto). They both sound pretty close to the same and I have a played through a Dual Recto and they are all three close enough to be innerchangable with one another. The one plus side to the Duals is, as mentioned, the fact you have less over head and can overdrive the power tubes sooner but that's gonna be LOUD... You can also cut the power down by pulling 2 power tubes and one rectifier tube to make it 50wts which would make it saturate the power tubes at a lower volume. The other positive about the Duals is it has less tubes which means less $$$ when it's time to re-tube the monster. The Triple has a few positives too.. It does have more head room so you can crank it up louder and keep just the Preamp sound pretty pure and the clean channel stays cleaner at louder volumes. As far as the distortion, I like the preamp distortion and really never push my amp in to any poweramp distortion, but I still like the dual's better for the simple fact it's cheaper to re-tube. It's all just a matter of preferrence in what you like.

Over all, they'll both sound about the same in a live situation.

PS, I originally was looking for a Dual recto, but got a great deal on a triple for a few hunderd less than a Dual.. So that played in to my decision of what to get. But I eventually went to the Tremoverb and now the Road King (which is also a dual). If you just need 2 channels, I actually liked the Single almost better than both the dual or triple and it's cheaper too (and cheaper to re-tube) and just as loud..... You might check out one of those??

I own a Triple. I like it *slightly* better than the Dual. There is a difference in the power amp driver circuitry, according to Mesa, but the major difference in tone is the headroom. Since I play 7 string, the extra power is nice for the lo B...

Latest posts

Back