Dual Rec. VS Roadster...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also consider the roadster is voiced a little darker than the regular DR.... darker voicing will lend itself to sounding less aggressive and the ears preception of a more trebley voiced amp will make it sound louder.... also you cant setup a roadster like a regular DR meaning if you had the same exact settings on both they would sound the same....my ears prefer the roadster as it has a more smooth tone than a DR but i dont see any loss of head room

Roadster is $1999.99 has better cleans, 4 channels, the option to run it in 50watts or 100 and has reverb.
The Dual rec is $1799.99. 3 Channels, no reverb, no lonestar cleans, with no option to run it in 50 watts.
Dual Rec is outdated. They need to drop the price. It would be almost stupid to not spend the 200.00 more for a roadster.
Now if i can only decide on what preamp tubes to retube my Roadking with.

thunderkyss said:
isn't the roadster a dual rectifier??
Or am I missing something??

roadster is dual rectifier but the dual rectifier they mention above is the 3 channel dual rectifier.

roadster has 4channel, reverb etc where normal dual rectifier only got 3 channel and no reverb.

I went to GC yesterday, the price is AU$6500 rrp just for the head. but i think its worth it. I would get DR instead RD coz i dont need the 4th channel really and reverb.

+1 that the Roadster is voiced darker than the Dual or Triple Recto.

I fought with a Triple for 5 years trying to smooth it out. The Roadster's Ch 3 Vintage is way smoother than the Triple's Ch 2 Vintage, and Modern modes in both channels are not as fizzy as the Triple was to my ears IMO.

The cleans are no contest.

Dom

let me break it down

If you need an amp for distortion only, you might like the DR more than RD, or vice versa.

If you need a versatile amp to cover everything, get the Roadster.

So go try one, you might like the extra harshness on the original DR.

If you're going to buy blind, I'd say get the Roadster.

I wanted a DR or TR for years and when I finally could get a Mesa I went with the Roadster not for one second have I regretted that decision. The amp is fantastic as far as its ability to produce a wide array of sounds. I think the hardest part is trying to figure out what sounds you like best and what to hear on a regular basis. :D

I have no complaints about the roadster at all... I was just wondering if this volume difference was the norm.

As far as amps go this is the absolute BEST amp I have ever owned... Tons of tone and soul...

And trust me... I have owned WAY to many amps!

I figured it out... thanks to all that responded...

I had the loop level adjusted way to low... now its pure Mesa THUNDER like my Dual Rec SOLO head!

That was possibly the longest brain fart I have EVER had!
:D

nathan28 said:
Roadster is $1999.99 has better cleans, 4 channels, the option to run it in 50watts or 100 and has reverb.
The Dual rec is $1799.99. 3 Channels, no reverb, no lonestar cleans, with no option to run it in 50 watts.
Dual Rec is outdated. They need to drop the price. It would be almost stupid to not spend the 200.00 more for a roadster.
Now if i can only decide on what preamp tubes to retube my Roadking with.

+1

For 10% more in dollars you get at least 25% more amp.

Ok, up until one month ago I owned a Trem O Verb since it came out and was in love with it. Still an incredible amp. For two years I also owned a Solo Head and used them both at the same time (4 sounds) I replaced them all with a Roadster. That is to take nothing away from those classic amps. However, the Roadster has sweater mids (which is what I was after) and more usable frequencies for recording and live applications. (to my ears)

There is PLENTY of bottom end but it seems as though the problems I had dialing the Solo head and TOV in are solved with the Roadster. I was loading the Solo head with EL-34s and using the orange channel like a lot of guys here before I discovered this site. Funny to read people's solutions to the same problems with the same amp. I PROMISE you, the Roadster is just as load/aggresive/chunky-whatever as a Solo head or TOV is, but just more amp.

If you only need two channels, a Solo or for me a TOV is the way to go. I will for sure get a TOV head again some day. But if you want more amp, the Roadster is the way to go. WAY more tonal options in the amp that are USABLE live. I am in LOVE with the British setting on channel 2.

Roadsters are not a step back from a two channel Dual Rec, they are a step forward. But lots of guys don't need the options.

Until you have owned and gigged/recorded with ALL THREE you really cant assess the differences between them. Playing and comparing an amp in a music store, or trying it out in band practice is no way to determine the useful-ness or inferior quality of such high end amps.

So in short, Roadsters are incredible, for some like me who need what they offer.

however, long live the TREM O VERBS! :lol:

Ok, Ill get off my Mesa soap box now....

Crikey said:
What settings would you use on a roadster to best mimick a Marshall type lead sound.

uhhhhh..... IF you use el34s instead of the 6l6s using channel 2 british on bold, 100 watts you can get in the ball park..... also depends on the marshall.... i thought with my kt77s that channel 2 british is in the plexi territory.... i bet with an OD infront that would get a **** good lead

jdurso said:
Crikey said:
What settings would you use on a roadster to best mimick a Marshall type lead sound.

uhhhhh..... IF you use el34s instead of the 6l6s using channel 2 british on bold, 100 watts you can get in the ball park..... also depends on the marshall.... i thought with my kt77s that channel 2 british is in the plexi territory.... i bet with an OD infront that would get a **** good lead
I had a JCM900 i look back at some recordings and still love some of those sounds.
I like CH2 for bright cleans on stage and Channel 1 for the more meatier cleans so I won't sacrifice that for the Marshall sound on stage.
But will have a play with ch2 anyway.
cheers.

Latest posts

Back