Dual rec. Road king II volume and tone.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaredface

Reaction score
I have a couple tube amps, Mostly all of them sound good when just slightly cranked. I tend to disagree when people say "Its a tube amp, you gotta dime it out" this is only true with older model tube amps such as a jtm-45, 2203 etc etc. However the problem Im having with my road king is the nasty nature of the tone when played at gig levels (master at noon and channel volumes at noon-1oclock). I play a PRS mccarty and a gibson Les paul (both stock) In my effects loop I have a mxr-10 band eq, digital delay, and chorus. I've tried many of the suggested settings, and experimented with the presence and treble at all locations. I really cannot get a good smooth hi-gain tone!!!!! I play modern hard rock/heavy metal a la bullet for my valentine. Heres is a link of my bands myspace site, The recordings were done before I joined the band, I believe it was a triple recto...Any help will be appreciated.......

Think channel volume maybe too high for modern/high gain settings for starters, maybe try pulling that back, where was the link man?

Honestly its not that loud, especially with the MXR 10 band eq.
www.myspace.com/cathercist

Jaredface said:
I have a couple tube amps, Mostly all of them sound good when just slightly cranked. I tend to disagree when people say "Its a tube amp, you gotta dime it out" this is only true with older model tube amps such as a jtm-45, 2203 etc etc. However the problem Im having with my road king is the nasty nature of the tone when played at gig levels (master at noon and channel volumes at noon-1oclock). I play a PRS mccarty and a gibson Les paul (both stock) In my effects loop I have a mxr-10 band eq, digital delay, and chorus. I've tried many of the suggested settings, and experimented with the presence and treble at all locations. I really cannot get a good smooth hi-gain tone!!!!! I play modern hard rock/heavy metal a la bullet for my valentine. Heres is a link of my bands myspace site, The recordings were done before I joined the band, I believe it was a triple recto...Any help will be appreciated.......

I've found when using my Les Paul, adding too much gain causes it to fizz pretty easily, but I never feel the need to run the gain above noon when I use my LP. When using a Schecter (with EMGs), the gain can be pushed a lot higher while not getting fizzy. Where do you have the gain, treble, and presence set? What tube combo and cabinet are you using? It also might be worth using channel 3 modern instead.

Also, try taking the loop out and see if that improves your tone at all.

I appreciate everyones input so far. To answer your questions; Im using (2) 2x12 recto cabs. The 10 band eq is set to having the lows just above center line, the mids are cut down about a 1/4 and the highs are just at the center line. I have my gain at 10 oclock my treble at noon and my presence at about 8oclock. I have tried to use the amp without an eq in the loop, not soo good. The amp has the stock mesa tubes.

i used to get the ear piercing highs out of my recto. i bought the 10 band eq and set the highest freq slider down half way and it helped alot.

Latest posts

Back