dual rec, noise supressor, eq pedal, fx loop help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
hey, well i bought my dual rec two months ago and now i'm trying to maximize the best sound i can out of it. I've never been a big fan of fx pedals (never really used them), but i've decided to try it out. I thought for all you guys who are familiar with them could help a brotha out.

1. Should i run a Noise suppressor and eq pedals through the fx loop and which should i use in front of the other?

2. I'm trying to clean up some of the muddiness i get from the amp and. Does it make a world of difference using an eq pedal and how would i use the eq pedal in accordance to the amp knobs. If you guys haven't already guessed, I'm totally inexperienced with these things! HA

I'd appreciate any help....THANKS!

Effects wise, I find the amp to be less muddy the less you use with it. Try bypassing the loop completely! I found that really cleaned my tone a lot! This also goes for up front...the less you run, the better, unless the certain pedal is an essential part of your tone!

Next, tubes makes quite the difference. The biggest I have found is in the rectifier tubes. The stock ones (more than likely 5U5GB) are very muddy. I swapped the two to JJ GZ34 recto tubes, and it cleaned the amp up considerably.

I am also currently running JJ 6L6s, which I found also cleaned things up a bit. Not as noticably as the recto swap, but it still did a little more for me!

Finally, the recto EQ is very very tricky. I am finally in tonal nirvana with my base sounds on the 3 channels of my recto.....7 months after purchasing :shock: ......work with your EQ...what are your current settings?

My final advice....don't hesitate to turn the gain down....I run my channel 3 modern with the gain at 12, and it is still huge and agressive! Maybe not metal, but definitely covers heavy heavy rock just fine!

An EQ pedal is going to be most effective if placed between the amp and your guitar IMHO. (I believe Boogies use a post preamp gain EQ) You can then use the EQ pedal to shape your distortion and then use the amps EQ to get the final mix right.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Effects wise, I find the amp to be less muddy the less you use with it. Try bypassing the loop completely! I found that really cleaned my tone a lot! This also goes for up front...the less you run, the better, unless the certain pedal is an essential part of your tone!

Next, tubes makes quite the difference. The biggest I have found is in the rectifier tubes. The stock ones (more than likely 5U5GB) are very muddy. I swapped the two to JJ GZ34 recto tubes, and it cleaned the amp up considerably.

I am also currently running JJ 6L6s, which I found also cleaned things up a bit. Not as noticably as the recto swap, but it still did a little more for me!

Finally, the recto EQ is very very tricky. I am finally in tonal nirvana with my base sounds on the 3 channels of my recto.....7 months after purchasing :shock: ......work with your EQ...what are your current settings?

My final advice....don't hesitate to turn the gain down....I run my channel 3 modern with the gain at 12, and it is still huge and agressive! Maybe not metal, but definitely covers heavy heavy rock just fine!

^This kid's getting good! Try by-passing the loop! Then evaluate why you feel you need a noise supressor and eq, both tone suckers IMHO!

parsky1 said:
An EQ pedal is going to be most effective if placed between the amp and your guitar IMHO. (I believe Boogies use a post preamp gain EQ) You can then use the EQ pedal to shape your distortion and then use the amps EQ to get the final mix right.
thats not really accurate bro the e/q will have way more function in the loop .if you run it before the amp it mostly equates to the pickups.

ok, so should i set all the amp eq's to noon and use the pedal eq to make the difference...i guess i'm still confused as to how i should go about using the pedal eq with my amp eq...would it just be easier to put all my amp eq knobs to the left--zeroing out those set of eqs and focusing strictly on the pedal eq to form my tone?

As a rule, I found that modulation FX sound best in front of the amp and time based FX sound best in the loop. Since the Recto has a parallel loop, a noise gate isn't going to be 100% effective with one until (and if) you get the amps FX loop modded to serial.

* Modulation FX = Chorus, flange, phaser, wah, ect...
* Time based FX = delay and reverb

Thanks jbird! I learn from the best :wink:

As for the EQ, I really believe you should spend more time with the amp to learn ALL its possibilities before you start messing with an EQ.

If you don't know exactly what you're looking for with the EQ, it's just more things to tinker, more ways to mess up....all working to find a tone that might be in the amp alone!

Latest posts

Back