Dual Rec covering

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
I am about to become the owner of an older 2ch Dual Rec. When I was inspecting it the other day I noticed that there are a couple places where it appears that the adhesive has let go. Otherwise, the cosmetic condition is immaculate. What does Mesa use to adhere their covering? I would like to use the actual adhesive that they use if possible. If this adhesive is not available are there alternatives? What have you guys used to repair this type of issue?

It seems that the covering on the rear has begun to sparate from the head cabinet. The separation is occuring at the bottom edge where it turns towards the chassis and also on the sides where it turns in towards the front of the cabinet on the inside. I am assuming that because this head came from the pacific northwest that it was possibly caused by humidity. It is now in southern CA so after I fix this cosmetic issue there should be no further problems with it.

In the past, I have used 3M spray 90 or 77 contact adhesive with Marshall cabinets and tolex. It does fine provided that nothing further disturbs the repair. I want more of a durable adhesive but something that will not prevent me from recovering if necessary/desired down the road.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. Look towards the bottom near the chassis.

dualrect005gg8.jpg

They most likely use some stuff from 3M or similar but I would be affraid that by respraying it would possibly get on the outside of the tolex. I know that any decent glue will work as long as it doesn't eat the tolex. If you are truly anal you would rip the tolex off, remove the old glue, and reattache the tolex but that's pretty extreme for that amp IMO.

Or better yet.....buy a flamed maple cab and mount it in there!

Greg

NOT just any cement will work.

Probably contact cement, but call Mesa for a recommendation.

i recently recovered my ROV head. i used contact cement with a brush and it came out great..with the brush you would be able to get the glue only where ya need it...spray didnt hold to good for me

3M Contact Cement. Tape off the surface of the tolex so you don't get any on it. Even if you do though, it rolls off as it hardens. Then, brush some on the wood and some on the back of the tolex. Use a small brush becuase it will tricky getting under it in some places. Let it tack up. That means no wet spots. Then press and roll it down.

Latest posts

Back