Dual rec Channel switching pop.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek.s

Reaction score
I just got my first multi channel tube head, the 3 Channel Dual rec.

I was using a single channel marshall head before.

I have noticed a loud "Pop!" when I change channels, i figured I'd come here to get some good advice.

Heres what I do...

When your amp in in standby, warming up, switch through all the channel acouple times on the footswitch. Now when you go to turn it on and start playing, turn the volume down and do it again. This takes me less than a minute to do and I no longer get pops. From what I read it might have to do with static in the footswitch pods/pots, but I can't be certain. Hope that helps.

so its still doing it, just now as loud. But still noticable
any one know why its still doing it?

Elpelotero said:
+1. when in standby flick em around a few times.

+2 same here. Think its caused by a static buildup in the switching relays. Most if not all of them do it, but it seems to go away after a couple of channel-changes and not really noticeable anyway at stage volume.

Mine pops twice. The first time I switch to Ch.1 it pops really loud and then I switch back it pops again but not as loud. No pops after that.

hmmm, I dont know why mine pops every time (it gets less and less noticable as i switch)

Yeah mine does the same but playing live with the rest of the band and switching between channels in time - I nor anyone else even notice's it. I actually don't even hear itanymore when I'm rockin.

NoGlassNoClass said:
Elpelotero said:
+1. when in standby flick em around a few times.

+2 same here. Think its caused by a static buildup in the switching relays. Most if not all of them do it, but it seems to go away after a couple of channel-changes and not really noticeable anyway at stage volume.

Yup, +3.

As you play louder, as in a live situation, the pop diminshes a lot. So live you hardly hear it, and there are also other things to cover it up. Live its more of a chance in hiss rather than a pop.

I have a 3 Channel Triple rec that I bought new in March. It 'Popped" on intial switching from day one.

I called Mesa and they explained that this normal static discharge after powerup. They said when they designed the amp they addressed the problem and they could have eliminated it, but it would involve a built in modification to the amp that would create a delay each time when you switch channels to allow for that discharge. Since it generally ONLY is supposed to happen on initial powerup, if you simply discharge it on powerup, then there shouldn't be a problem during normal playing.

On my amp it does NOT matter whether the amp is turned up or all the way down.... the 'POP' sound is always the same volume thru the speakers. AFTER I have come out of standby I need to switch through all the channels a couple times. There is usually 2 pops one medium, one loud. Sometimes the first pop is right away.... other times it is the second or third switch... that is why I switch thru several times to get the static fully discharged. After the big 'POP', it switched fairly quietly and has NEVER been a problem.

Let me add... that sometimes in a hurry I only switch once or twice, and get a pop, but there is still a static buildup and later while playing I go to switch and it pops. That is why it is important to switch multiple times thru ALL channels several time AFTER coming out of standby. Switching in standby without a output load doesn't work on my amp and the static won't discharge. I have to be OUT of standby.

I wasn't real happy with this, but I just make it part of my regular routine just like warming up the tubes.... and it really is no big deal for me.

Latest posts

Back