Dual Rec at 50W, impedance, and Customer Support

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassninja

Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal...

I just found out that you're supposed to halve the impedence you use to your cab when you have tubes removed to lower the wattage of an amp. I've been running my dual rec solo head at 50 watts with the original impedence into my road king cab for about 6 months...seemingly with no problems.

Now that I know that's bad, I won't continue, but what could happen to the head? And why didn't it fry over the last 6 months? Is there anything that could be wrong without me knowing?

I also called customer support to see if I could run the 2 4ohm outs to each of the 8 ohm inputs on the cab so I can continue to run the cab in 4x12 mode...they said that probably wouldn't work. Any input???

Thanks for you help!

Use the cab switching function and run the two 8 ohm cabs at from the 8-16 ohm taps. The RK sounds so much better to me with multiple cabinets either in the same taps or the speaker switching on the second set of taps.
The OT has to be one sturdy unit to keep seeing all of the impedance changes in the progressive linkage. I just would not fool with it too much.
Most people will suggest to halve the impedance, but I really think this amp can handle it. It also depends on the cabinet your running. I have an 8 Ohm Mesa, Two Marshall 16 ohm cabs and a Soldano 16 ohm Cab. I run in the 8 and 4 ohm taps. If I want, I would safely run them both in the 8 ohm taps and use the speaker switching function. Mesa's are tough amps.

for speaker cabs is that you can always run safely into a higher ohm load (cabinet) than the OT setting. Since Mesa lets a lot of their amps switch power settings - which I think the RK does with the 4 different tubes settings - then they have taken care of that in the OT linkage.

So don't run an 8ohm output into a 4ohm load because that will fry your amp.

Some people like the mismatch in impedance - it does give you some tone options.

My head is a regular 3 Ch Dual Rect Solo...I just happen to be running it through a Road King Cab. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference in that regard

Latest posts

Back