Dual Rec and 7581's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
I don't know if it is just this amp being 2 channel v. having played 3 channel amps but these NOS Phillips 7581's seriously rock in here. Just thought I would let people know if they are considering a power tube change. I've got JJ's in the preamp in case you are wondering.

Also, I plugged in the Thiele and it is pretty nice even without the Traditional 4x12 cab. I definitely want a G-Flex 2x12 now...

Haven't tried them in a Dual Rec, but I have used them in another amp (Vibrolux clone) and I much prefer Winged C's. The 7581's had a thin sound compared to the WC's. As always, YMMV.

I have been playing the 2 ch Dual Rec most of the day and every so often I kick over to the Mark IV just for comparison.

I have been finding I really love playing rhythm on the Rec even though the rhythms from Lead on the Mark IV were really a joy. I know I probably have had the thing dialed in way different from others but it really is fun. I think this honeymoon period might last a while. I even got the Dual Rec to have singing leads at one point. My V was sustaining like I have never heard even out of the Mark IV with my go-to Les Paul. I forgot to write down the settings though but I know it was on red. Could be the 7581's. It was reminiscent of a non-master Marshall with my Les Paul but a little thinner but fat at the same time.

The Traditional cab seems brighter than I had remembered them in the past. It could be hearing hangover from playing the Mark IV into the EVM loaded Thiele and EVM combo cabinet for so long. It could be the settings I was using too though. I have been digging the Thiele with the Dual. Combining the two is nice though because the Thiele provides the bottom that the Traditional cab seems to be lacking. Next on the demo is combining the Traditional cab with my 1960B loaded with 75's. I think I like the 65 loaded 1960A slightly better than the Traditional cab but I will have to try it with the Dual Rec just to be sure.

I think tomorrow I'll swap the 420's out of the Mark IV and into the Dual Rec and try the 7581's in the Mark IV.

Back