Dual rec #812 has pre500 trannys

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elpelotero said:
unfortunately i don't know any good techs in florida. I've never had any of my amps "teched." I would imagine the best thing to do is look at the authorized REPAIR centers in Florida. NOT the DEALERS!

There's a list someone online, or if not there's a list you get when you buy a new amp. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll dig mine up.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/rep_select_2.php,,,i did use the the peter wells ,he is a complete foooool,,he told me thats how it is supposed to sound! :roll: ,,so i took it to hendrix sound also on mesas list,he didnt know either until i brought down my 97 triple thats dead quiet,after that he was able to fix it with a few resistors,,,so i guess my only choice is to send back to mesa ,at least i will know its going to be good as new!!! ,ohhh and both of these dudes said i had a bad preamp tube also,,!!!in a matter of 2weeks ,,i think if you realy need your amp gone over send it to MESA,,I learned the hard way,,but thanks you guys ,this board has tons of useful info :D what i meant was both of them charged me for a new preamp tube,,,they were all brand new and working perfectly,i tryed them out in my triple,,no problems

that is the correct repair center list.

that really sucks man. Maybe you can post a video before you send it? That way we can see how much is coming out of it. Try to rule out everything you can...power source, cables, pickups, tv's, computers, fluorescent lights, tubes, etc. Sending it to Mesa should be your last option because it's so expensive.

Elpelotero said:
that is the correct repair center list.

that really sucks man. Maybe you can post a video before you send it? That way we can see how much is coming out of it. Try to rule out everything you can...power source, cables, pickups, tv's, computers, fluorescent lights, tubes, etc. Sending it to Mesa should be your last option because it's so expensive.
ohhh dude,my dual is quiet now, i was just questioning hendrix and why he needed to have my triple there to figure it out,,plus he never mentioned anything about the filtercaps, funny thing again hendrix told me that old man weller was pulled off the list for a long time ,but somehow got back on it,,i dont mean to slam anyone but **** ,,if you dont know how to fix it just freakin say so!!!!sooo like i said im going to send it to mesa for a cap job and whatever else may be going south in the future,thanks for your concearn man :)

In the manuals it says that the most common problem is with the tubes. They go on to say that it is a shame to have people sending their amps in for a tube replacement. This is why we always tend to have people check their tubes and other variables before blaming the amps. This is why most of the problems are resolved here. Then there are those instances that are not tube or outboard gear related and with the knowledge of some of our more talented members the problems are also resolved. It is only when someone cannot do the repair as discovered by our members or that our members do not have a solution that most of the amps here go to Mesa or a service center.

Russ said:
In the manuals it says that the most common problem is with the tubes. They go on to say that it is a shame to have people sending their amps in for a tube replacement. This is why we always tend to have people check their tubes and other variables before blaming the amps. This is why most of the problems are resolved here. Then there are those instances that are not tube or outboard gear related and with the knowledge of some of our more talented members the problems are also resolved. It is only when someone cannot do the repair as discovered by our members or that our members do not have a solution that most of the amps here go to Mesa or a service center.
ok that sounds fair.what do you think about 14yr. old filtercaps? im no expert by any means, but i just want to get it right for for a another 15yrs :D maybe i read to may posts?i can post some detailed picts of the guts ,but are we not supposed to replace caps after 10 to 15 to 77yrs? hell i dont know much about tube or ss. amps.i just love the way the mesa sounds!!!!!!! help me out if you can

Popular concensus is currently saying after 10 years to replace your caps. Personally I have been of the type to not change them unless they need changing. There again if you don't look inside your amp that often you might miss the bulge in a cap then have a messy explosion. Usually you will hear cap problems though. Inconsistencies and odd sounds are typical even after trying to resolve the noises with changing out old tubes for new ones.

Russ said:
Popular concensus is currently saying after 10 years to replace your caps. Personally I have been of the type to not change them unless they need changing. There again if you don't look inside your amp that often you might miss the bulge in a cap then have a messy explosion. Usually you will hear cap problems though. Inconsistencies and odd sounds are typical even after trying to resolve the noises with changing out old tubes for new ones.
yeah i was afraid of that ,oh well its running great now but i will be buying a roadcase; bubble rap it ,triple box it with tons of peanuts! :wink: thanks for the info!!!

When I first got my 92 the PT buzzed and ran warm. It sounded fine, but I did not like the fact that it buzzed either. I looked the entire amp over and the filter caps were fine. I went through the preamp tubes, power tubes and flipped the amp to tube rectifiers and they blew like a thunderstorm in a bottle. The filament was drawing so much from the bad rectifier tube the PT was buzzing. Two new GZ-34's later, I am still in heaven with serious tone, no heat or buzz.

Boogiebabies said:
When I first got my 92 the PT buzzed and ran warm. It sounded fine, but I did not like the fact that it buzzed either. I looked the entire amp over and the filter caps were fine. I went through the preamp tubes, power tubes and flipped the amp to tube rectifiers and they blew like a thunderstorm in a bottle. The filament was drawing so much from the bad rectifier tube the PT was buzzing. Two new GZ-34's later, I am still in heaven with serious tone, no heat or buzz.
WOW! that was a cheap fix! dude you know lotts about the boogies, YOUshould be on the repair center list! and mod my 92f board to a C :D !!! by the way did you ever scan the original owners manuel for the d.r.?...man i would love to read that again,i had 2 of them,, but over the years i lost them both :(

Boogiebabies said:

hmmmm sounds like i have the same problem. so whats the difference between a mesa 5u4g and a gz-34?

hmmmm sounds like i have the same problem. so whats the difference between a mesa 5u4g and a gz-34?

If I can share what I've learned of Rectifier tubes....

The difference between the solid state (silicone diodes), and Tube recs specifically the standard issue Mesa 5U4G and optional GZ34.

The solid state diodes are super fast, the current hits them from the power supply at .01 of a second, that means no sag AND fast current rise time (449.08 Volts).

The GZ34 (or 5AR4) is the fastest REC tube to deliver voltage to the circuits, .02 of a second (413.90 Volts) very little sag and still maintains higher voltage supply.

Finally the 5U4G takes .44 of a second to deliver 357.06 volts, significant delay of rise time (sag) to deliver less voltage than the ss diodes or the GZ34's

There are a few other REC tubes but they don't come near the requirements for a Mesa power supply so we don't even consider them as options !

Hope this helps !! :wink:

Latest posts

Back