Dual rec #812 has pre500 trannys

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunyok23

Reaction score
i just nudified my 92 dual rec #812 and it seems like it has the same tranny's as the pre500s. although the circuit board is a rev f.

does this mean "pre500" is no longer true???

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

"nudified", huh?

That could account for the fact that the F sounds much like C/D still.

It is interesting that your board is marked with DAYANH. My '90 Mark IVA chassis has DAY A NH written on it. I wonder what DAY A actually is and who NH is.

hey Russ, you have a good eye. it definitely is 92 but when i wiped it i couldnt see it

current tubes are sovtek 5881 wx and 12ax7wb.im not sure if this is the stock.but the rectifier tubes have mesa logo on them.

do you still recommend mesa tubes for this guy?

clutch71 said:
Snagged that one off eBay didn't yeah? How does she sound?

yep.a little rough on the outside but very clean inside. red channel sounds warmer than my tremoverb. clean sounds ok to me ( i have tremoverb, mark iv and jsx to compare)

I love the 420's from Mesa in my Mark IV, but I am really liking the NOS Phillips 7581's that I have in my '94 DR. Those 12ax7wb's probably sound like crap tonewise. I would try replacing them. For current production, the GT12ax7M or the Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 is a good place to start. Don't let the C9 slip under your radar either. It is actually a nice chinese tube for a change. You can get that as a GT 12ax7C to avoid noise and microphonics also. I have JJ's across my DR's preamp currently and kind of like them but I know the amp can sound better if even by replacing V1 with something not quite so dark. I wouldn't worry about using the Mesa SPAX7. Those are basically the same thing as what you already have but have a little rubber ring around them and were screened by Mesa for noise and microphonics.

How does the F compare other than what you have already said to the Tremoverb?

bunyok23 said:
hey Russ, you have a good eye. it definitely is 92 but when i wiped it i couldnt see it

current tubes are sovtek 5881 wx and 12ax7wb.im not sure if this is the stock.but the rectifier tubes have mesa logo on them.

do you still recommend mesa tubes for this guy?

Those aren't the mellower Mesa 5881 are they? I know there is a more aggressive 5881 but not sure.

I looked at that one on eBay but wasn't ready yet. Glad you like and congratulations!

I found that my '94 Rev G gets almost into Mark territory when dialed right. Can the F get there or does it fall just short too?

Russ said:

i just got the amp a few hours ago and fired it up and noticed this less prescency than my tremo.

i will make a one on one shootout to see what i will keep as soon as i get new tubes

That lack of presence feel might be those 12ax7wb's too. Get some good tubes in there before you decide against it.

bunyok23 said:
Russ said:

i just got the amp a few hours ago and fired it up and noticed this less prescency than my tremo.

i will make a one on one shootout to see what i will keep as soon as i get new tubes

Tremoverb's Presence pot has a 4:1 ratio over other rectos....If I recall correctly.

the first transformer has two numbers off (last 2 #s) as compared to my Rev D. don't know how much of a difference this is since my Rev C has the same two numbers off as compared to my Rev D....

the second transformer also has different numbers in all three revisions, your F, my C, and my D.

Trannies and choke part #'s from my '94 are 562105, 561140, and 550381.

Elpelotero said:
bunyok23 said:
Russ said:

Tremoverb's Presence pot has a 4:1 ratio over other rectos....If I recall correctly.

you're correct.100k vs 25k

Elpelotero said:
the first transformer has two numbers off (last 2 #s) as compared to my Rev D. don't know how much of a difference this is since my Rev C has the same two numbers off as compared to my Rev D....

the second transformer also has different numbers in all three revisions, your F, my C, and my D.

what's your tranny's numbers? are you refering to the number that starts with EIA?

but im guessing we have the same part #'s (startrs with 5)

Latest posts

Back