Dual Caliber Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman88

Reaction score
I am new to mesa combos. I have had alot of people talk about Studio 22, Dc-3, Dc-5 etc.

Cound someone please explain the difference in these amps?

idk if the studio is a dual caliber... haha

i am just on the look out for a 112 combo in the 4-500 range that has a good clean and nice crunch sound. i like the "marshall crunch" but i don't trust those amps so i am looking for just a good sounding versitile combo.

whats the best dual caliber for me, if one fits this category...

thanks

I own a DC-2 Studio Caliber and may be able to give you some info. The DC-2, DC-3, DC-5 and DC-10 are all from the same series. The differences are primarily wattage and power section, with the DC-2 and DC-3 being EL-84 driven and the DC-5 and DC-10 6L6 driven. The DC-2 is the lowest rated combo at 25 watts, and does not have a GEQ that all of the others share.

In my opinion, any of the Caliber series amps would be a good choice. The Dual Calibers give you independent controls for the two channels, which may be a plus for you over the original Caliber series that have just one set of controls for the two channels. Speaking from experience, my DC-2 is the loudest 25 watt amp I have ever heard, and sounds almost as loud as some of the 40 watt combos I have owned or tried in the past. I personally do not miss the GEQ, but if you can find a DC-3, DC-5 or DC-10 you will have more sound shaping options available with the GEQ. I like both channels, and use both channels. I do not know how a Caliber series amp would compare to a Marshall, but I think they sound somewhat like a Mark series amp and I enjoy the tone (I love Mark series amps, so I may be biased in this regard).

I purchased mine with a matching Thiele cab for under $800, and it is dead-mint. Your price range sounds reasonable, I don't think you will find anything with the same build quality or sound quality in that price range. You can find some good deals on them, you just have to look around. I check eBay every week and usually see one or more listed.

thanks, that helps alot!

makes sense to me. i will def check em out.

i tried out a dsl 401 today, and i just like a good saturated crunch (idk if that is the word). it was ok, just the overdrive as lacking a little.

i love saturation. i was watching a video of petrucci (not really my style) but he had a really really good sparkly full sounding crunch.

like stiletto deuce/roadkings have that incredible crunch in my opinion. those are obviously way! out of my price range. my peavey classic 50 (which has shot tubes, condition, am selling) also has a decent classic crunch sound maybe that "zero's in" on the sound. i guess its more so sound than "marshall sound"

good cleans and that good crunch.much like the video below of one of the users on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpnRjI3llk

But don't confuse the DC-2 wit the Studio .22. The latter is the small brother of the Caliber .50, the former is the smallest amp of the DC series.

tetsubin said:
But don't confuse the DC-2 wit the Studio .22. The latter is the small brother of the Caliber .50, the former is the smallest amp of the DC series.
Right. I know what a DC-3 sounds like, and I agree that they sound a lot like a Mark, except with less available treble and presence. But I've never heard a Studio .22 or .50 Caliber. How do the DC-series and "Caliber" series differ, sonically?

I have had all of the DC's, and most of the Calibers. They are all equally great amps in their own rights.

DC-2 - (Studio Caliber) has Contour instead of EQ. This is a preset "V" on the EQ spectrum that is only available to the distortion channel.

DC-3 - is a great all around amp that is very light and can crush a Marshall like Bigfoot driving over a Yugo.

DC-5 - is another great all around amp. It's a little heavier than the DC-3, and slightly louder. It's tone is darker than the DC-3, but I like this more for my style.

DC-10 - 100 pounds of beautiful sounding combo. Clean channel is like my Twin Reverb and the Lead channel cuts like a gas operated Ginsu.

.22+ Caliber - great little amp, but sounds really little and I didn't like the shared EQ for this particular amp.

.50+ Caliber - I just got this one (6L6 model) and so far, it is rich and creamy and I was able to dial in a great tone easily for both channels. I spoke with Mike B. at Mesa yesterday and he said this is one of his favorite amps from the past. He laughed his *** off when I told him that his initials were in this amp. He said, "My initials are all over the fucking place!" :lol: :lol: :lol: They are too. I am amazed that this amp has the sustain that it does at bedroom volumes.

Mike B. said that he prefers the EL84 model of the .50+ Cal because it is a little more raw and aggressive. I haven't tried one yet, but he has me interested now. :lol:

Any of these amps will do just fine for good to great cleans with really nice crunch and sustain.

I currently own a DC-5, DC-10 and a .50+ Cal. I think that the DC-5 and the .50+ are rapidly replacing the DC-10 as my all time favorites. I got the .50 for $425 + shipping. It needs new tubes soon and had a channel switching problem, and is beat up looking, but I don't care. I love it anyway.

If you get a Caliber, instead of the DC, make absolutely sure that you get one with an EQ and make sure it is a +. The + means that there is a separate Master Volume for the Lead channel. This means that you can get both channels dialed in at the same relative volume. Without the +, this is a little harder.

The non + models are easy to mod into the + models, but just be aware that it will cost just a bit more to do this.

:D I forgot,

If you get the 20 watt amps, DC-2 or .22+, they come with the Mesa Vintage Black Shadow made by Emminence. I really think these speakers sound boxy. A Greenback, Heritage 30 or the Mojotone Clones of these sound really great in these amps and really open the tone up a lot.

Latest posts

Back