DR Channel Volume & Tube saturation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what other DR owners run the volume at for their separate channels. Where you think the best saturation is at and can you blow tubes by giving a particular channel to much volume? I recently purchased my first mesa head and what to get the best out without damaging it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't have a DR per se, but I have a Road King which is pretty similar, so maybe I can help. I'm not even really sure what channels the DR has. I'd assume a clean, crunch and super-gain channel? My RK has 4 channels so I'm not sure.

Anyway, in terms of damaging your amp...if you run your master output level at unity gain (50%, 12o'clock, half-way, whatever you wanna call it) you should be able to get your channel volumes all the way up without damaging anything except maybe your speakers if they can't handle it. Of course, if you do this you'll probably go deaf before anything on your amp breaks, so I wouldn't try it. These amps are designed to be run at what I would consider to be unnecessary volumes for long periods of time. As long as you have proper ventilation for them and they don't overheat, and your speakers can handle the volumes, then you should be able to run it at almost 100% with no problems. Keep in mind, if you actually do run this amp in the 85-90% range for long periods of time, the tubes will be shot way quicker than normal, and the overall life of the amp will probably be shortened, but I wouldn't say that anything would be irreversibly damaged.

But yeah... I'm betting you will reach the threshold of pain long before you top out this amp, so don't worry, crank it up man.

I you want to optimize a DR's tone than you should run the channel's volume at 12 o'clock and control the overall amp's volume with the master volume (black knob wich is activated only when the effects loop is not bypassed) I don't know why but i can tell you that my 2 DRs sound better when runned this way, but to do so you have to turn the effects loop's knob ON at the back of the amp, you should also run the send level at a minimum of 50% and the return knob at 100%(effects loop's 2 knobs at the back)

That's interesting; my bandmate's Roadster combo always seems like the exact opposite. It seems to get a much better (fuller, thicker) tone bypassing the loop and using the channel master as the master. We're usually running it in 50W with gain around noon or 1:00 and master at 11:00-12:00, though, which is pretty loud. Haven' t really tried as hard to dial it in at lower volumes.

edit: BTW danvortex, don't know why I didn't check out your myspace earlier! Nice tones! You guys must sound huge live with three guitarists. Your drummer has great time, too.

CoG said:
That's interesting; my bandmate's Roadster combo always seems like the exact opposite. It seems to get a much better (fuller, thicker) tone bypassing the loop and using the channel master as the master.

i agree, i seem to get better tone with the loop off but this is just a personal pereference. it seems like when my loops on it really affects my tone, i enjoy the tone i get witht the loop off.

Latest posts

Back