DR 3 ch. versus DR 2 ch.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Siggy, though when did they transition from Rev-C to D(serial numbers to look for)? Would the later revisions(I think F/G) be better than the Rev-D?

it's all in the presence pot.....the D is tuned as more of a rhythm amp and the C as more of a solo amp. I can't stand playing rhythm on the C without backing off the presence...it is too brash and bright.

I guess since i dont play with alot of presense and treble i am fine using the C for rythem as well as soloing. But honestly right now i have my ractifier, my tremoverb and my R0005, I am either keeping all three or two, either way one will be for rythem, and the R0005 will be my soloing head.

Elpelotero said:
it's all in the presence pot.....the D is tuned as more of a rhythm amp and the C as more of a solo amp. I can't stand playing rhythm on the C without backing off the presence...it is too brash and bright.

Can someone chime in?

JMPMAN said:
Thanks Siggy, though when did they transition from Rev-C to D(serial numbers to look for)? Would the later revisions(I think F/G) be better than the Rev-D?

I am not really sure to tell you the truth, I would say look for 200 and under, but like i said i really dont know.

JMPMAN said:
Can someone chime in?

JMPMAN said:

Thanks Elpelotero, though in your opinion, if you had to choose between RevC or D, which would you pick? Also, are you familiar with the later revisions and which one of those would be comparable to the earlier RevC or D? Thx

I have a 94 and it is a G. It seriously rocks. I know it might not be a C or a D but it still kicks a 3 ch's butt. I just read in another thread that the G was somewhere between the C and D but not quite as tight.

Thanks Russ. Mesa sure makes it hard to pick from all the choices/revisions, especially when you can't try 'em all out :wink:

I pick the D...but that's because I like the thick Mesa cascading gain with some brightness. To my ears, the C is too bright fro rhythm playing unless you knock the presence down, in which case it then sounds like a D. If I were a pure lead player, I'd take the C...but seriously they all kick ***!!

Hey, no problem. The only way to learn is to have your questions answered. I have been going back in the posts to find most of my questions asked and answered. There are still some questions I can't find answers to but they usually get answered. So now that you know that the 2 ch's though all slightly different still kick a 3 ch in the pants you must be asking yourself what you should do. Regardless of which you choose it will have the basic 2 ch qualities that separated them from the 3 ch. If you like having more channels, having a slightly looser amp and some fizziness then you want to keep what you have. If you want your amp tighter, with less fizz, and to have better tone you know what to do.

In my case, if I want tighter than a Rev G I plug into my Mark IV. If I want good cleans I plug into my Mark IV. If you look at the 2 ch and the Mark IV you'll find that the 2 ch is better suited for heavy rhythms whereas the Mark IV does tighter rhythms better. I would say that the Mark IV has a better soloing tone for the types of stuff I play as well and is more versatile. Some will debate the soloing tone as being better in a Rev C. I think it all depends upon what you are doing with it.

You asked earlier about a 50 cal. If you have a Rec and a Mark IV you will never need a 50 cal. Nitrobattery was feeding you good information. Listen to him. He has been through the gamut.

Thanks all for the very good info. I will try to digest it all, though the 2ch. will probably be the way I go, just have to be patient and decide what year to go for.

Latest posts

Back