Dougstubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found Doug to be really responsive. So much so that I bought a couple of extra tubes for back ups for his great customer service. I even had one go bad and he replaced it within the week.

Doug seems to like loading a Tung Sol up front but other positions change from amp to amp.

I made a couple of suggestions (Mullards in the power section and in the preamp for my DSL 50) and he stated that while he would be more than happy to sell those, based on what I described, he recommended a concoction he thought I would like better. His option was cheaper than what I suggested so he defineitely is not one to upsell you based on what your looking for.

I'll always wonder if I retubed my DR with a Doug concoction if I'd still have it. Such is life I guess.

Mullenski said:
Mike at KCA NOS Tubes has been great to work with. Extensive online catalog and reviews/comments.

www.kcanostubes.com

I've been using Mike for years. Awesome Guy!

Doug's was fantastic for me, he gave me heaps of help.
He helped me design my preamp with some valves he suggested and my Roadster now sounds flawless.
Might have caught him on an off day.

I wanted to retube both my LSS and Mark IV.

I emailed Doug and described the sound I was hoping for. He sent me back a detailed listing of the tubes and the prices.

I had to make 2 different orders about a month apart for financial reasons. Both orders arrived promptly in in good working order.

About a month after that, Doug or someone else there emailed me to ask how everything had worked out.

In my case, I could not have hoped for better service. The other guys may be OK, but for my $.02 I don't intend to leave a place where I have gotten excellent service.

Yeah, I have had good service from Doug too. Must of caught him on a bad day.

I had the same experience talking with him, kinda down played my knowledge of tubes and amps, which I kinda know a little about this. I felt like I knew more than he did, which I know I do now. When asking him why these pres for my Roadster he just said because you don't want all of the same tubes and if you don't like one you can swap it around or try another. Kinda lame if you ask me. I then asked about the power tubes and he had no straight answer at all. Not really trying to knock the guy but if I'm going to spend big $$$ I want to know at least general answers to general ??'s. There's other sources for tubes, and I didn't fall for the recipes!! Just my take.

All I know is that Doug practically rescued my amp from the JJ pre-amp nightmare I was experiencing. Don't get me wrong, I like JJ power tubes, but the Doug pre amp combo brought the tone out of my amp. That reminds me, I have to call Doug for some backup power tubes.......

I recently ordered from Doug's Tubes and had no problems whatsoever. All emails were promptly returned and the tubes got to me fast. I'm a happy customer and wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. I had a good experience several years ago with Eurotubes as well.

Matt

Ibanez said:
Anyone of you tried thetubestore ? They have many brands and they also know which are good for mesa's...

Their service is incredibly fast, especially if you are in Canada. I have gotten tubes from them the day after ordering :shock:

I live in Virginia and am currently in New York for a wedding. Yesterday I called Doug and told him I was in town and that I was interested in retubeing my MKIV. He invited me to his house. He was at his other job and arranged for his son to meet me there. I told him what I wanted and he made some suggestions. His son Brian was cool too. His living room was full of amps that he was retubing for Sheryl Crows Guitarist. My point is the guy was way helpful. Let me come to his home to pick the tubes I wanted, paid him in cash and off I went. What can be better than that.

Does Doug's do integrated quads like Eurotubes? I really want to try some Winged "C" tubes and an integrated 6L6/EL34 quad.

Just call him and ask. I'm not sure if he does/doesn't. The trick is getting tubes of the correct 'grade.'

But I'll bet if you call Bob at Eurotubes and ask him what that 'grade' is - he'll tell you. And you can just order tubes from Doug that fit those parameters.

Dealt with Doug more than a few times and it's all great.
Really nice to do business with either by phone or email.

Doug is great called him at 9:45 PM and he was totally helpful.

Sold me a great NOS Rectifier tube for my LSC

He seems like a good guy, but I don't know how seriously to take him. The rectifier tube kit is pretty bad compared to what you can get. I'm sure he's very knowledgeable, but he's still a salesman and I'd take his recommendations with a grain of salt. Other than that, he seems to run a good business.

Back