Don't need no Mk V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Woogie Man

Reaction score
Never tried one and probably never will as I have no need to. I have absolutely no doubt that it is a fantastic amp but I appreciate and love my Mk III so much that I can never play through anything else.
My Mk III gives me everything I want and brings out more from me than any other amp I have had.
So, no Mk V for me.

+1
I will undoubtedly buy a Mark V, used, when the price comes down about 50%, then most likely sell it, because after tweaking it for two weeks I'll realize that I have spent all that time getting it to sound like my Mark III, which will still rule in epic fashion. :D

MK III for band practice/dingy nasty bars/throwing in back of truck.

MK V for home, fancy dancy gigs.

Other MK III for shites and giggles.

And then I am probably about to buy back my Blue Angel and then I will have the amp for a future blues/jazz band. Not that the Marks can't do that :p

Good! I'm happy that you reached the state of the art with your MarkIII...but looking in your neighbour's garden is not a crime! Maybe you will be a huge MarkV fan in the future... :lol:

im gonna get a Mark V to put in glass... and stare at... and tell people that they've looked at it too much already when they come over :)

dmcguitar said:
im gonna get a Mark V to put in glass... and stare at... and tell people that they've looked at it too much already when they come over :)

I actually laughed out loud!

lyman said:
phyrexia said:
I will have the amp for a future blues/jazz band.

hmm. Is that a new genre? :wink:

What would that sound like?
"Gonna wake up tomorrow mornin'
ba dah dah da duh"

well for some it's a new genre ... for me it's just what's in my blood. and the mark III can do this as well as anything else. well, almost as well as my LSC ... :lol:

reilly said:
I need a Mark V!!!
Me, too!
No, wait! For the same dough, I can get THREE Mark IIIs!!!
One for home, one for rehearsal, one I can just leave in the car! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rvschulz said:
lyman said:
phyrexia said:
I will have the amp for a future blues/jazz band.

hmm. Is that a new genre? :wink:

What would that sound like?
"Gonna wake up tomorrow mornin'
ba dah dah da duh"

well for some it's a new genre ... for me it's just what's in my blood. and the mark III can do this as well as anything else. well, almost as well as my LSC ... :lol:

I hear ya. That was just my attempted joke about "future blues" and how that would go!

I don't think anybody needs one. But I'm sure many will want one. I like the idea of buying three MKIII's instead. Accept for the sore back of course.

I still covet a MKIII even though I have a MkIV. There's room for everyone in the Boogie pool, just no peeing please.

Scott

I really want to try one. Whether or not I'll get one is a different story. Chances are that I'll end up buying a used Mark IV. I think the Vs look too much like Rectifiers, with the groups of chrome knobs.

EDIT: Nope, they look almost exactly like Nomad 100s.

A V is not much more than a used IV.
I would recommend getting the one that does what you want.
The III is the only MARK that is much less than the others at this point.
I have a feeling that well change in the next few years.

I have a feeling that once the economy comes around the price of all the MARKS not being made well start going up over the next few years.
It is only a matter of time before they go up like the old Fender/Vox/Marshall/etc.
I would be very surprised if anything else happened.

Boogie Woogie Man said:
Never tried one and probably never will as I have no need to. I have absolutely no doubt that it is a fantastic amp but I appreciate and love my Mk III so much that I can never play through anything else.
My Mk III gives me everything I want and brings out more from me than any other amp I have had.
So, no Mk V for me.

i agree. i think everyone should try to find something they like in what they already have not what the flavor of the month is.

maybe im just too poor to even consider wanting a mark v

I have been happy with my Mark IV combo. The only thing that the V has that I wish mine had was the 10W option. Other than that it's not worth spending the money right now for me :)

My rig right now is a Studio Preamp and a blue stripe Mark III in a 6-space rack. The output of the Studio Pre and the effects send of the III go into a passive switching box on the floor next to my pedal board, and the output of that goes into the effects return of the III. This way, I can switch between preamps on the fly. The Studio Pre is set for a bright clean, and the Mark III is set for a darker clean with a little crunch in it. The lead tones sort of follow from those settings; the Studio Pre has a very characteristic thing happening in the midrange, while I get a bassier, thicker crunch from the III. With two separate tone stacks and four distinct tones available, there is a lot I can do, and I doubt there's anything essential I could get from the V that I can't get from this setup (plus mine is a little more distinctive).

Back