Does converting a combo to head effect resale value?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Reaction score
Just curious, If I had a Mark IIc+ Combo and decided to convert it to a head. Would it effect the overall value of the amp?
Since the real value is in the amp portion itself would it really matter what shell it was in?

That's a great question. It seems to me that that Mark series heads typically sell for more than combos on ebay. If your combo shell looks really bad converting might help boost the value too. Of course, putting it in something cool like a hardwood/wicker shell will give it a significant boost.

That said, there is probably significant value in keeping the original combo shell of an older Mark I or Mark IIC+ from a collectors point of view. The safe route is to convert it and hang on to the combo shell. I've seen a few older Boogies for sale lately with both head and combo shells included. You can't go wrong with that plan.

I suppose if you keep the original it shouldn't matter. I spoke with Chris at Mesa the other day and new black head shells go for around 250 dollars. I think the same price holds true for the combo. More for the wood of course.
Not to bad to upgrade the look if you have a weather beaten shell. But some people like that look. Like Fender Relic's.

Back