Do you prefer Mid Gain or Harmonics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefered the Harmonics setting on my old A´s. Seemed more balanced and really made the harmonics come alive. It had enough gain and sustain for me at this setting.

The Mid Gain is cool for leads, but added a somewhat artificial, slightly harsh fizz to the tone at low volumes, at at higher vol settings it would feedback like crazy with high gain and LD settings. It also seemed to bury the dynamics a bit.

It will be interesting to see how my new B version differs. Or if my taste has changed since I last owned a Mark IV. I´ve also bought a few new guitars since that time.

I believe with harmonics the mid tone is accentuated a little more (and not just fizzed up like midgain) and the guitar is just more responsive overall. I think it almost uncolors your guitar compared to mid-gain, just to add more "balls" to your tone. Yet again I do use a guitfiddle with humbuckers and not single coils like I believe midgain was intended for.

I like the midgain more with my single coil guitars than humbuckers.. it kind of beefs up the tone a bit. I don't hear a harsh fizz that some of you are mentioning, perhaps it's all in the settings? I like the harmonics with humbuckers because it kind of opens them up a bit more.

That said, I probably flip that **** switch 30 times when I'm playing either guitars, I like the variety :)

Glad I have a med head and it's easy to flip as much as I do :D

Platypus said:
I like the midgain more with my single coil guitars than humbuckers.. it kind of beefs up the tone a bit. I don't hear a harsh fizz that some of you are mentioning, perhaps it's all in the settings? I like the harmonics with humbuckers because it kind of opens them up a bit more.

I agree with this completely. My single coil telecaster just shines in R1 & R2 when using midgain. The notes are fatter and more dynamic, but still clear. It also works well with split humbuckers.

For higher gain stuff w/humbucker guitars I prefer Harmonics, especially on the lead channel. IMO, the difference in clarity at higher volumes is profound.

If that function was footswitchable it would be ideal!

harmonics are the best balanced tone.. i find the mid gain can get way to much feedback at higher volume's..

and for everyone who has read the manual they will know the mid gain, harmonics ONLY effect the lead channel..!!ahahah

Shep said:
harmonics are the best balanced tone.. i find the mid gain can get way to much feedback at higher volume's..

and for everyone who has read the manual they will know the mid gain, harmonics ONLY effect the lead channel..!!ahahah

:oops:

DOH!

Maybe my playing is just getting better? Just when I thought I was starting to know the amp.......thanks for calling me out Shep :D

I had a hard time really telling the difference, but I've only had my Mark iv for about a week now, so I'm still learning the amp. Mid gain seems to give me more thickness.

rockhound76s said:
Shep said:

:oops:

DOH!

Maybe my playing is just getting better? Just when I thought I was starting to know the amp.......thanks for calling me out Shep :D

haha :D

that like when i first found out that the knob can be pulled out as well :wink:

Latest posts

Back