Do more peeps commonly use DR's over TR's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
My apologies for asking this newbie question but I'm just trying to get with the program. And I'm preparing to purchase a triple... but if the Duals are commonly known to be better, same goes with a Stilletto, than a triple... it would be nice to know. Any help is much appreciated!
MB

The Dual is more common.

The Dual will give you a slightly better, more liquid/compressed lead tone, and the Triple will give you a slightly more open and tighter rhythm chugga chugga tone.

That said, you'll only really hear those differences at high volumes...which are louder than most people ever get to run their amps.

Most people prefer Duals since they'll never play at volumes where you need the Triples extra headroom to hold your rhythm tone together.

It's not really a matter of 'better' or 'worse' but more 'choosing the right tool for the right job.'

For some, 150 Watts, 6 power tubes, and 3 rectifier tubes just doesn't make realistic sense. They don't need the extra headroom, punch, etc.

For others, it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Personally I liked the character of the Dual Rec better but it fit my tastes and is more realistic for me to retube. I suggest you try both and see which jives with you more.

Yes from what I have experienced more people use duals than tripples, because they don't need 150 watts. Most people don't need 150 watts even if they gig a lot. The tripples sound the exact same except a little more headroom so don't let the majority lead you to buy the dual rec. Most people say it is overkill to have a tripple.
Now with the stilleto's I think it is different. With either stilletto (deuce or trident) you can cut the power to 50 watts. I think a lot of people have bought the deuces since they have been on sale at GC for $899.

Point is both the DR and the TR sound the same, its just what you need.

well, first of all
before any of the variants the amp that made the big splash was the original Dual Recto. Its the original, so regardless of features and differences, it has easily the most name recognition.

The triple to me always just seemed to be a pain in the ***.
Very cold until run at excedingly high levels. Even if all you do is gig a lot this can be a problem, because a lot of places with good monitor/pa systems arent going to want you to have that high of a stage volume.

Dont get me wrong, Ive heard some fantastic sounds come out of many triples over years, but I cant say Id pick one over a DR or even a SR.
Maybe one of the original 2ch reverse color models..

Biggest thing that steers me away is having all of that to retube!
Too much $$$ for what its worth

Latest posts

Back