Distortion Pedals..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman52

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who is using a Triaxis also uses any other "pedal" effects with their rack setup. Mostly was wondering if anyone is using other "Distortion" type pedals with the Triaxes and if so.. How do you have it set up... as far as wiring the pedal is it in front of or do they run it through the effects loop...also if and when using other external pedals what settings are recommended....

Thanks

George

Why would you use a distortion pedal with it. I think triaxis has enough versatility to cover any ground in music. You can go from clean to blues to crunchy rock to heavy metal at a press of a button (or a turn of a pot) In other words, Mesa Boogie amps generally have enough gain to completely eliminate the need for distortion pedals.

I read an article once where Hetfield stated that the best distortion comes from THE AMP, while pedals would mostly sound like fuzz sitting on top of all that (in other words piling distortion on distortion). In some cases that is useful for solos so they can stand out from the sound, but then again, increasing the gain on the amp does that too, and probably with much better results.
I have a quad, and I'm extremely pleased with the tightness and the punch of the lead channels, especially the Lead 1, I could never imagine ruining it with a dist. pedal.

A clean boost can help edge out a bit more gain... but not distortion....

I run my Triaxis through the external effects loop of Boss GT-10 and love it. I run GT-10 Compressor - Triaxis - GT-10 Delay - GT-10 Reverb and use the GT-10's chorus when I switch to a clean patch. The GT-10 also serves as a midi controller to the Triaxis and I could map the expression pedal of the GT-10 as well, but I never saw the need to do that. I really don't see a need to run a distortion pedal into the Triaxis, but if you did, I would try running it straight into the Triaxis, not the loop

I want to thank all who took the time to make replies to my question..
all information is greatly appreciated....

My Current rig consists of Mesa Triaxis (Ver.2 no mods.. Circa Early 90's)

I was using a Digitech Quad 4 effects processor but have changed that to my Lexicon MPX 500...

I use a Ground Control Pedal with the GCX Switching System.....

And I must agree I have always LOVED the tone and sound of my Triaxis... I have tried other amps through the years but I always end up back with the Tri in the Rack.....

It's just that last week I was reading an article and I thougth I had read where someone was using a pedal infront of their tri just for a little variation to the original sound.......so I figured I would go fishing to see what others thoughts were on this kind of setup.......

I am so glad that most..have thought as I do....the Mesa sound is to considered a Purist .......not to be altered or smeared with other pedal processing............

Thanks again to Everyone here at The Boogie Boards.........

George

I also forgot to tell all that the Rack Is Powered with a Mesa 20/20 power amp...Which all ends up into a Mesa Recto 2X12 Cab.....

George

Back