Dimarzio Evo's with a Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I found a guitar (Ibanez SZ720) I am planning to purchase, and it is loaded with a pair of Dimarzio Evos.

How are these pups in general? Are they worth keeping? Anyone use them with a Mark IV?

I plan to tune the guitar to D standard / Drop C....will these pups hold up well with high gain tones?

Instead, I have a Duncan Custom and '59 I could throw in there if the pups aren't great.

Thanks for the help!

I put a set of the rio grand crunchbox / punchbox into my ibanez, with a .50 cal. I play Eb / c# drop they are unreal massive chunk and clairity.

nice choice visual rocker,,, just a few hours ago I installed a new D-Sonic in the bridge of my Ibanez rga121 that ive been waiting a week or so for from Dimarzio. I originally bought the Air Zone and sent it back to them and replaced it with the D-Sonic,,, I also have the Air Norton in the neck. These seem to work great for me.

I love the evo's, they have a great clarity to them, I have the evo 7's in all my 7 strings and they really help push the front end of the mark IV, for that little extra somethin-somethin. I think they let the natural voice of the wood out as well, which is why a lot of people don't like them, they will make a crap guitar sound worse or a great guitar sound better (talking wood and tonality wise). Once you pick up the guitar and throw down with the mark IV let us know what you think.

I bought a Jem 7vwh and it came via UPS today!! It has Evolutions in it and the short time I have spent with it and my Mark IV puts a big smile on my face. Very tight and articulate. High gain stuff is awesome and R2 finally has some balls (sort of like being able to turn it to 11 - if you know what I mean).

I'll have a more detailed account of the p-u's and the amp later.

Hope this helps,

John

Just threw up a quick (crappy) take of a couple of songs with the evo 7's and DR

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=15216

I can put some up with the Mark IV if you want later

that clip i had ages ago was with my mk IV and evo's in one of my jem's.. they are very nice and bitey , great for soloing and cutting thought.. alot's of gain and smoothness..

Ibanez4Life,

Try the D-Activators. I just recently put them in my EB/MM John Petrucci and been completely blown away by them. I found they had just the right amount of output, with harmonics and clarity oozing out.

I've got a JEM 7BSB with Evos, and a JPMM6 (not the D-Sonic, whatever it was they used to sell them with). I like the Evos better for lead & whatever's in the JPMM6 for rhythm.

I had an Evo in the bridge of one of my guitars, but I didn't like the sound through my Mark IV. The Evo's are very high output and have particularly cutting highs which does not compliment the Mark IVs reliance on high treble settings at all. They are very articulate and transparent pickups through ther right amp, but they lacked character in their tone in an almost sterile way through the Mark IV.

Steve Vai likes high output pickups because he says he prefers to play them through a medium gain amp (i.e the Legacy). When you have a high output pickup and use it with a high gain amp you lose a lot of articulation in your tone.

holdsworth said:
When you have a high output pickup and use it with a high gain amp you lose a lot of articulation in your tone.

This is why one should also steer clear of the so-called "high gain preamp tubes". LESS IS MORE!!! The older I get, the more clean my lead tone gets :? . No old fart jokes, please. Only thing is, the volume just keeps getting louder :lol: . This is part of the power tube saturation/air movement in relation to guitar pickup mystique, I guess. Forget speaker cone breakup, I play mostly EV's.

Latest posts

Back