Different Vintage 30s in Recto cabs, 60w vs 70w

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've seen 212 rectifier cabs with 120w and 140 w ratings.

What are there differences between these cabinets' sound?
do these 60w and 70w Celestion v30s sound different?

thank you in advance!

Well I have heard from Many different sources that the original 70 watt speakers where designed with a lower bottem, and a little less mid's. I have heard from people that said boogie stated that, I personaly never heard them say that.

Which is understandble, the time boogie went into full swing was grundge, which was muddy style of music, more lows then anything, then came nu-metal which was all downtuned and once again not needing as much mid's.

Now according to Boogie it was a mis print on the lables and there is nothing different between the 70 watt celestions and the 60 watt celestions. I have trouble believing they mis printed so many lables, from the 2x12's right up the 4x12's for so many years.

The newer cabs have the 60 watt V30's which are suppose to be the normal V30 that you can buy anywhere else. Reason Boogie switched to these is people starting using other cabs with Mesa Heads because they wanted the more midrange that the normal V30's had. This is one of the reaons the Orange cabs became such a hit, small in size, alot of mid's which is what todays musicians seem to be leading towards.

Of course when i say todays musician, you have to understand they go by what is hot, which is pop, punk etc. and they will make more money by targeting this crowd then they would metal heads, who do have a good following, but not nearly the numbers that punk/pop/emo has.

6stringer said:
Hi there,

I've seen 212 rectifier cabs with 120w and 140 w ratings.

What are there differences between these cabinets' sound?

thanks!

Thank you for your reply !

I'm not such a metal guy, so I need all the mids that the normal v30 can serve! :D just kidding ...
Almost all the guitar sounds I like ,there are normal v30s in the cabinet.(I assume that , because they're using new cabs with v30(like Vai, Luke, etc)

this was a big help, 'cos there was a used one ,140 w cab Iwas about to buy, but now, I'll wait for the new one.

Thank you again!

I have the older style 4x12 Recto cab with the 240 watt rating. The V30s in it are very middy.

As a side note, I had a 4x12 Recto cab a few years ago that I replaced 2 of the V30s with C90s and sold the original V30s. A few months later I bought some regular 60 watt V30s to put back in it, and there was no tonal difference between the 60 watt and 70 watt speakers.

siggy14 said:
Well I have heard from Many different sources that the original 70 watt speakers where designed with a lower bottem, and a little less mid's. I have heard from people that said boogie stated that, I personaly never heard them say that.

Now according to Boogie it was a mis print on the lables and there is nothing different between the 70 watt celestions and the 60 watt celestions. I have trouble believing they mis printed so many lables, from the 2x12's right up the 4x12's for so many years.

I think I vaguely remember reading somewhere..

That the reason why mesa's v30s were 70w and everyone else's were 60w, was that they were a slightly custom designed job in that mesa was involved in some part of the manufacturing process, and then the speaker was finished by celestion.

I could be way off the mark, but I believe I read this somewhere (possibly marshall amp forum).

thank you guys for your replies!

It would be cool to A/B an older and a new mesa cabinet.If all goes well, I''ll go with a brand one, since the used one isn't too cheap, and it doesn't come with the casters.

I wouldn't let the different V30s sway your decision at all. Find a good deal and jump on it. There are DEFINTELY some great ones out there!

Latest posts

Back