differences of Mark 4's??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
What are the main differences with the different versions of mark4's?
Is there a big difference at all between a 95' Mark4 and a brand new Mark4 for example? How about revision A,,,, revision B???
Do people generally agree one or the other is better or more sought after?
Is there any way to tell if a Mark4 is revision A or B?
Any thanks is appreciated,,, thanks

Hey Recto, I have both version A and version B. There are differences, yet I couldn't say that one or the other is better or worse. I have been playing a Mark IV since the beginning...1991, I think is the year I bought my first. It is a medim head, version A. It has some notable differences from my racked Mark IV version B. Most notable is the B version has an extra effects loop send for a satellite speaker, stereo set-up. There are probably other technical differences, but I don't know what they are specifically :oops:

I have been using both recently and they BOTH sound awesome!!! It's all in the way you set them up, the tubes, the cabs, etc. I don't think one is more sought after, necessarily. Maybe that's because I have both and don't care 8)

Anyway, the other thing I am aware of is the older Mark IV's have more space between the words "Mark IV" on the front of the amp. If you do a side by side, you can see it. Also, I enjoy having my harmonics/mid gain switch on the front, I don't know if that's a version A/version B thing or not. Maybe it's just a short head vs. medium head difference. Sorry I can't help more. Anyone else???

I too have owned both and the differences tone wise are virtually indistinguishable. I've heard people say Rh2 on the A seems to be a little more gain, but it works fine for me with my A! The midgain/harmonics switch is on the back in the short head version. I prefer the short head for my 2 Thiele cabs.

More info can be found in the 'Mark IV thread' sticky at the top of the Vintage Amps page.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the A or B difference!

Latest posts

Back