Diamond Front plate advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unnamed1

Reaction score
I recently got a second hand Triple Rectifier - it looked mint when I got it.

After a few days and under the right light I noticed the Diamond Front plate has what looks like dark - scratch like blemishes next to every diamond on the front - as if it was somehow done during the manufacturing process.

Just wondering if anyone else has this or has noticed it? The picture of one I found below shows it perfectly on the left hand side:

http://bit.ly/WBEPCo

Thanks

Congrats on your new Recto, and Welcome to The Board.

Looks to me like someone tried to clean it, and you are seeing either sratching from that, or a reaction to the chemicals used to clean it (oxidation).

More importantly, how does she sound? What cabinet are you running it through?

Dom

The thing with the marking is that it looks uniform. I figured if someone had just scrubbed at it with a cloth and abrasive it would be marked all over, but these marks are to the right of every diamond and the same size.

The amp sounds utterly fantastic, but the front has really put a downer on things to be honest.

I would like to fix it somehow, but there are varying methods on here what is best to use.

Any ideas or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Unnamed1 said:
The thing with the marking is that it looks uniform. I figured if someone had just scrubbed at it with a cloth and abrasive it would be marked all over, but these marks are to the right of every diamond and the same size.

The amp sounds utterly fantastic, but the front has really put a downer on things to be honest.

I would like to fix it somehow, but there are varying methods on here what is best to use.

Any ideas or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Order a new diamond plate from Mesa for $25 or a whole new head shell for $300.

Ah right. If I can order a replacement tread plate it would be problem solved to be honest.

Is it really $25, and would I just contact customer support?

Thanks again.

Try cleaning it with guitar polish and a microfiber cloth before you decide on a new faceplate.
IF that doesn't do the trick try white vinegar, then redo it with the guitar polish, worked for me.

Unnamed1 said:
Ah right. If I can order a replacement tread plate it would be problem solved to be honest.

Is it really $25, and would I just contact customer support?

Thanks again.

Youll have to call and check. I recently ordered a head shell for my triple rec with the chrome plate. The amp looks brand new now. The only problem with replacing just the plate is how to remove it. They use a strong epoxy.

It's easy to get off...use a hair dryer and a flat head screw driver and start from a corner and work your way to the other side. That's what I did when I removed mine to paint it black. Takes about 10 min to heat it up good and peel it from the enclosure. Then you can use 3M double sided sticky foam tape to reapply. :mrgreen:

I have just got a reply back from Mesa's distributor in the UK.

£441 = $680 for the shell
£146 = $225 for the face plate

What an absolute joke :(

Looks like I will just have to order the diamond plate and put a new one on somehow.

Think I will have to try the hair dryer method. When you did this, did you heat it from the front/back or push the air down the sides? Just worried about the black amp covering coming away too.

Thanks guys.

I heated it up from the front only but I used a piece of cardboard to protect the edges of the amp tolex from the direct heat so that it wouldn't heat up the glue that holds it in place around the face plate. It worked really well, just take your time peeling up the diamondplate or it will pull up some of the compressed wood underneath that it is attached to.

Unnamed1 said:

Looks like I will just have to order the diamond plate and put a new one on somehow.

Think I will have to try the hair dryer method. When you did this, did you heat it from the front/back or push the air down the sides? Just worried about the black amp covering coming away too.

Thanks guys.
Dude, seriously, before you shell out the $$$ for a new faceplate, try some aluminium wheel polish from the auto supply. Get a soft bristle toothbrush, and use that to work the polish into the crannies of the diamond plate. It might work and save you the money. If it doesn't, hey, you're prepared to spend the cash for the new faceplate anyway; no harm, no foul.

FWIW, I have a Mini Rec, and the only thing I don't like about it is the diamond plate; the industrial look just doesn't do it for me. I wasn't about to spend the US$100+shipping for a different color one, so I took off the shell and sprayed it flat black. I eventually want to cover the whole thing in beige/cream leather or tolex to give it more of a vintage Mark series look, but this will do for now.

Here's how my Mini turned out. At least that diamond plate doesn't stand out so bad now. So, a rattle can may also be an option, also.

IMG_0003a2a_zps3066b2ba.jpg

Unnamed1 said:

Thanks guys.

Holy ****! I've always heard Mesa was more expensive in Europe but that it rediculous. My headshell was $299 here in the states.

if it were mine, i'd take it off and spray it black and refit it, IMO black rectifiers are the coolest/baddest amps around;)

The price is ridiculous I agree. I sent a strongly worded email go the distributor saying they could stick their prices up the proverbial.

I also messaged Mesa saying it was a bit out of order charging that much for parts. They basically agreed and wished there was another way.

Thing is, I've dealt with a lot of American companies here in the UK and they have always helped me out or found ways around it. DW sent me a massive package from the US through the UK distributor at no extra charge.

It just seems like an easy excuse to blame it on import costs/customs and excise duty, which Mesa did.

Things are expensive granted, but when you could buy a whole 4x12 or a combo amp for the price of a shell (block of wood and some tolex) it kinda irks me a bit.

Think I may spray it black if the polish method doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back