deleted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never compared the Altec, but in my opinion, the Ev has a better bottom and more clarity and just sounds better to my ear than the Celestion. Although you didn't mention JBL; I like the JBL E-120 even better then the EV. The JBL sounds a little more balanced compared to the EV ... very close though but the JBL seems to put a smile on my face more than the EV. IMO the Celestion is not in the same league as the EV or JBL. My tastes are based more on the classic guitar sounds of the late sixties and seventies .. ie. liquid lead sound but some clarity underneath the sustain. In the end though it is all about personal preference.

I used to have Altecs & JBLs ... they were pretty bright ... especially the JBLs ... both brighter than the EV12L. The EV12L has a better midrange and more balance. I still have mine that I bought back in 1978 with my Boogie.

If it helps ... all of my attached clips are recorded with the Boogie/EV12L combo with a Shure SM57.

souelle said:
D-120 is alnico and E-120 Ceramic, right ? But do they have the same kind of sound ?

Not sure if they have the same sound, but don't let any "specs" sway your judgement. Let your ears have the final say! :)

Hi,

As the cabs have a big influence, too, I finaly own 4 open Boogie cabs and 4 Thiele. I have build a switching box, where I can switch between 4 speaker cabs by foot and there is allways load on the power amp of your tube baby (no load will damage the power amp).
When I compare speakers, I put them in the same kind of cabinet, same distance and angle to my ears and drive them with the same amp. Then I switch between the speakers by foot, while I´m playing.

I´m not a Hard- Heavy - Metal - Guitarplayer, I´m out of the Rock, Rock´n Roll, Blues, Funk, Soul, Fusion part of taste.
After compareing lots of speakers ...

most of all, I like the JBL D120F, for me it´s far the best speaker. It fits Boogie Mark Series amps very well.
2.) Altec 417 8H
3.) EVM 12L, old Version

... agree with souelles description, same experience ...

4.) Celestion 90 W
5.) EVM12L, later version (don´t like it very much in MK I, MK IIs and IIIs, quite good with MK IV)

V30 only sounded good for me in a 3/4 cab.
Greenbacks are very nice, too, but they don´t have enough power, to use them 1x12" with a Mark *
4x12" is a different thing ...

Hi,

can you give us some more information about, which EV 12 L's belong to the older and later versions?
My MK IV combo from 1990 came stock with the Black Shadow EVM 12 L 200 watts. I also have 3 thiele's loaded with the EVM 12 L`s - OEM version.
I also like a lot the Black Shadow MC 90 or the V30, especially in combination with the mentioned MK IV's EVM 12 L.

Last year I also could get two Altec's 417 8 H in very good original condition, which are a good alternative especially for Santana/Abraxis like sounds.

kind regards
arno

I have the 90 in my MKIV and I like it ok. I have old EV SRO's so I can't give you a 12l comparison but I think my EV's sound a little fuller than the 90.

I have an old altec which I had in a carvin combo but I hated it. I still have it but have no desire to put it in my boogie. I know santana and Randy Rhoads and a bunch of other dudes like em but I don't.

Scott

Latest posts

Back