Delay for IIC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocluejimbo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, a somewhat well documented issue of the IIC (minus) is that the effects loop is pre-gain. So, effects (namely delay) in the loop act as though they are in front of the amp... so, I was wondering what any of you IIC players do for delay?

I have been out of the effects game lately, and have specifically looking at the Nova Delay/Repeater and the Carbon Copy. How do these guys work in front of gain? The Nova Delay was appealing because I could set different settings for clean/dirty and also have some modulation. The Carbon Copy was, of course, analog, easily tweakable, etc. I definitely want something that won't affect the tone/driving the preamp when I bypass it.

Sorry, I don't run through a IIC, but I run a TC Electronics Nova Repeater in the front end of my Mark III with no tonal shift at all. I've ALWAYS been an analog guy, but from recommendation I was told to try out this pedal. I absolutely love it! The analog setting on this unit is very convincing....definitely warm and lush. I haven't had the chance to run it through the effects loop yet but will do asap. I'd have to think that running the Repeater/Delay through your IIC will give you the same satisfaction. Then again, I'm a bit bias towards the TC gear as I've always been a big fan of their products.

~Nep~

+1 on the TC gear

Try a 2290 dynamic delay in the loop and you will be blown away

I had a IIC (now IIC+). Time delay effects work fine with the IIC until you kick into the lead channel. Then, it destroys everything. Its exactly like running your delay pedal IN FRONT of your distortion pedal. Sounds fine when playing clean...sound NASTY once you kick in the distortion.

Sadly, there's no great way to avoid this problem (other than getting the amp upgraded to a IIC+, which solves the effects loop issue). The IIC does have a pre-amp out / pre-amp in jack on the underside of the amp's chassis. Some people have figured out how to deal with the signal levels and have hooked in an effects unit there. Needless to say, that is a non-traditional solution attempted by only a few (not me).

Sorry.

Chip

Neptical said:
Sorry, I don't run through a IIC, but I run a TC Electronics Nova Repeater in the front end of my Mark III with no tonal shift at all. I've ALWAYS been an analog guy, but from recommendation I was told to try out this pedal. I absolutely love it! The analog setting on this unit is very convincing....definitely warm and lush. I haven't had the chance to run it through the effects loop yet but will do asap. I'd have to think that running the Repeater/Delay through your IIC will give you the same satisfaction. Then again, I'm a bit bias towards the TC gear as I've always been a big fan of their products.

~Nep~

Are you running the III's internal distortion circuitry? I am very concerned about the fidelity (or, really, the alleged complete mushiness) that will happen when running a delay effect before the gain circuits.

I use most of the available gain on the IIC (loved both sides of the preamp for years), but I HATE using pedals for gain. I know I could always get a gain pedal and run it before the delay, but can't wrap my head around not using the Boogie preamp for all of the tones I can get out of it.

chipaudette said:
I had a IIC (now IIC+). Time delay effects work fine with the IIC until you kick into the lead channel. Then, it destroys everything. Its exactly like running your delay pedal IN FRONT of your distortion pedal. Sounds fine when playing clean...sound NASTY once you kick in the distortion.

Sadly, there's no great way to avoid this problem (other than getting the amp upgraded to a IIC+, which solves the effects loop issue). The IIC does have a pre-amp out / pre-amp in jack on the underside of the amp's chassis. Some people have figured out how to deal with the signal levels and have hooked in an effects unit there. Needless to say, that is a non-traditional solution attempted by only a few (not me).

Sorry.

Chip

Do you have any references to people doing this? I have no aversion to line-level gear, my amp chassis is rackmounted and I have a free space.

I don't know how I feel about shipping my amp to get the upgrade. It's expensive and a long time for me not to have an amp... this is the only amplifier I have owned for the last six-seven years.

nocluejimbo said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

Are you running the III's internal distortion circuitry? I am very concerned about the fidelity (or, really, the alleged complete mushiness) that will happen when running a delay effect before the gain circuits.

I use most of the available gain on the IIC (loved both sides of the preamp for years), but I HATE using pedals for gain. I know I could always get a gain pedal and run it before the delay, but can't wrap my head around not using the Boogie preamp for all of the tones I can get out of it.

Yuck! I've never ran distortion boxes in an amp. I never saw the point in that. Actually, wait..I lied..I used an SD-1 in the front of a Single Recs clean channel a few times because I was trying to get a GOOD sound out of that amp that was never happening. The distortion in that amp isn't happening for me, so I needed an alternative which comically sounded better then the built in dirty channel.

Anyways, there's no tonal degrading when running the TC Repeater in the front end. I know it's always good to run it through the effects loop ( and I will try it when I get the chance). I just bought the unit a few weeks ago and haven't messed with it much yet, but will report back on the review shortly, but from what time I've played around with it, it's a killer unit. So far I ran it through the front end of both my Mark III heads, a Fender Pro Reverb and a small Marshall combo with excellent results.

~Nep~

Yeah, here's the guy who made an effects loop out of his pre-amp "send" and "return" that's hidden on the underside of the chassis...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37572

He had a special buffer circuit made, which is what he's showing pictures of. It's not a great thread for giving details of the circuit, but if you PM the guy (or resurrect the thread), maybe you can get the contact information for the tech that did the work for him.

Chip

I feel like if I am going to get that custom made for my rig, I might as well just go ahead and get the C+ mod. That is something that seems like it would cost on the order of a few hundred dollars, so I might as well knock out two birds with one stone, if I go towards that route, and get a better effects loop, and the improved C+ circuitry/tone.

Does anyone here actually even use a (non-plus) IIC? I am curious to see what anyone else is doing about this alleged huge problem. I don't own any effects units or else I would just try one and see what happens. I would honestly like to get a simple 1U rack unit, as I already have my amp chassis in a rack and have a free space.

How would running a line-level unit through the preamp/poweramp junction work?

Latest posts

Back