Deciding: 2x12 3/4 back cab VS 2x12 Recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6002

Reaction score
I'm deciding on an upgrade from my Mesa 1x12 widebody 3/4 back cab. I've narrowed it down to either the :
2x12 3/4 back cab (with C90s)

OR

2x12 Rectifier cab (with V30s)

---
What are the differences between the C90 "Black Shadow" and the Vintage 30?
What are other things I should know about the upgrade from my 1x12 cab to one of these 2x12 cabs? Will I need to adjust the EQ on my Nomad 55 to compensate for the different speakers? Is the Recto cab 'muffled' compared to the 3/4 back cab?

Thanks any info is appreciated.

I've only had experience with my 1x12 3/4 back cabinets, but from what I recall reading in the past from a Harmony Central review...

The 2x12 3/4 back seems to have less bass response (other speaker cancels out some bass). But I don't know for sure from experience. So if you want less bass then this might be a good option.

If you want a bigger sound I've found two 1x12 3/4 cabinets stacked does the trick. Gets a speaker closer to your ears.

The Recto 2x12 probably doesn't feel or sound as big or 3D because its fully closed with more front projection.

To generalize, V30s have a mid-range spike which seems preferred for hard rock or metal tone, C90s seem scooped and warmer and seem preferred for clean or modern tones.

Mr_You said:
I've only had experience with my 1x12 3/4 back cabinets, but from what I recall reading in the past from a Harmony Central review...

The 2x12 3/4 back seems to have less bass response (other speaker cancels out some bass). But I don't know for sure from experience. So if you want less bass then this might be a good option.

If you want a bigger sound I've found two 1x12 3/4 cabinets stacked does the trick. Gets a speaker closer to your ears.

The Recto 2x12 probably doesn't feel or sound as big or 3D because its fully closed with more front projection.

To generalize, V30s have a mid-range spike which seems preferred for hard rock or metal tone, C90s seem scooped and warmer and seem preferred for clean or modern tones.

Thanks! I'll have to rent them and try them sometime.

Are you keeping the 1x12 wide body? I would recommend keeping it and adding a 2x12 Rectifier cab. My ROV had a C90 in the combo and I added the 2x12 Rectifier cab. To me it was the best of both worlds. Great for cleans w/ the 3/4 back of the C90 and heavy low end for the 2x12.

0 experience with the Nomad but just a thought.

clutch71 said:
Are you keeping the 1x12 wide body? I would recommend keeping it and adding a 2x12 Rectifier cab. My ROV had a C90 in the combo and I added the 2x12 Rectifier cab. To me it was the best of both worlds. Great for cleans w/ the 3/4 back of the C90 and heavy low end for the 2x12.

0 experience with the Nomad but just a thought.

I was planning to sell the 1x12 so I could afford the 2x12.

I have 2 of the 2x12 3/4 back cabs and like them alot. I have found them to have plenty of bass with my F-100 head (Don't know if the F-100 puts out a lot of bass or the cabs handle it better). I prefer them over the Recto cab because I find them to be less directional, meaning I don't have to be standing right infront of them to hear them

BTW, The Mesa 3/4 1x12 and Mesa Widebody 1x12 cabinets are two different cabinets. The 3/4 1x12 does have a very wide body, but the backs of these two are different. I'm guessing you have the 3/4 back, but you might want to verify by looking at the website if you aren't sure.

Mr_You said:
BTW, The Mesa 3/4 1x12 and Mesa Widebody 1x12 cabinets are two different cabinets. The 3/4 1x12 does have a very wide body, but the backs of these two are different. I'm guessing you have the 3/4 back, but you might want to verify by looking at the website if you aren't sure.
Yep my 1x12 cab is 3/4 back.

I have a C90 in my 1x12 Express 5:50 plus a 2x12 closed back cab with V30's. I've had the box made by a local amp maker here and had it wired so I can use either the C90 combo speaker alone, the 2x12 cab alone or both the C90 combo speaker plus the cab together. That's given me a great opportunity to A/B the speakers.

1) For rock/blues/metal styles I think closed cabs are always much better. Couldn't comment on any other musical style.
2) The V30's have significantly better tone than the C90. The cab alone is much fuller, thicker, warmer than the C90 alone. My amp maker predicted this and he was right. He also recommended I change the combo internal speaker from the stock C90 to a V30. I beleive that would make a considerable improvement
3) Best tone is with all 3 speakers running together.
4) I'm not critising the C90 speaker - it's excellent - just that the V30's are better :D

Newysurfer said:
I have a C90 in my 1x12 Express 5:50 plus a 2x12 closed back cab with V30's. I've had the box made by a local amp maker here and had it wired so I can use either the C90 combo speaker alone, the 2x12 cab alone or both the C9 combo speaker plus the cab together. That's given me a great opportunity to A/B the speakers.

1) For rock/blues/metal syles I think closed cabs are always much better. Couldn't comment on any other musical style.
2) The V30's have significantly better tone than the C90. The cab alone is much fuller, thicker, warmer than the C90 alone. My amp maker predicted this and he was right. He also recommended I change the combo internal speaker from the stock C90 to a V30. I bleive that would maske a considerable improvement
3) Best tone is with all 3 speakers running together.
4) I'm not critising the C90 speaker - it's excellent - just that the V30's are better :D

Thanks! I'm really leaning towards the 2x12 Recto cab now :D

I have never heard a v-30 I liked. The c-90s are fuller and warmer and have more bass than any other speaker in a open or 3/4 back cab. In fact they have so much bass I dont miss the close back cabs

V-30 to harsh for my ears or if you get a tone of of them they are only good for that one sound.

c-90's are good clean dirty or in between

MONGO said:
I have never heard a v-30 I liked. The c-90s are fuller and warmer and have more bass than any other speaker in a open or 3/4 back cab. In fact they have so much bass I dont miss the close back cabs

V-30 to harsh for my ears or if you get a tone of of them they are only good for that one sound.

+1 :D Except I do like the V30s....just not better than the C90s

And I completly disagree, i have seen so many different styles of music as I listen to alot. And most of these bands use V30's with all different styles.

From a tech point of view, a speaker is a speaker, you change EQ on a c90 it changes the sound of the speaker, you change EQ on a V30 it changes the sound. THERE IS NO SPEAKER out there that will always sound the same with different EQ sounds.

Now as to the harsh sound from V30's, well the biggest mistake people make is playing a speaker by itself. Second they make the mistake of standing right next to the speaker cabinet. You want to figure out which speaker is best for you, first make sure you are standing at least 10 to 15 feet away from it. Second use it in a band situation, because that is how you should be hearing your guitar.

In a PA system and band situation the V30 will cut through alot better then the C90 and in a band situation you will not hear that harsh sound you hear when you play it by yourself.

MONGO said:

Just because other bands and techs use v-30s does not make them the choice. Its always been hyped from the late 80's and thats the reason. Also most techs and bands suck at sound live. Cut through ? sure they do but harshly. I think the c-90 cuts through great but smoother and with a nicer more pleasent sound to the ear. Again what music you play does matter. The c-90 is a smokey, smooth high end speaker that sounds better clean to dirty than a v-30 to my ears. Big bass low end thump and a really nice mid section thats not focused on the mids which a guitar already is focused on. Now if I play a certain music the v-30 might be perfect so to each his own.

Now as far as it cytting through what do you have as an issue of cutting through ? A good mix and it all cuts through. Plus standing 10-15 away from a v-30 is the harsher part not next to the cab.

Anyway we all have are own thing

Latest posts

Back