dc3 head, what speaker combination?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bede400

Reaction score
hi everyone long time reader 2nd time poster i have recently aquired a mesa dc3 head, finally got a boogie. I have a 4x12 with 2 1968 25w greenbacks and 2 g12h 197? personally i think its too bassy with no clarity also im ditching the whole 4x12 thing and have 2 1x12 cabs ready to be loaded just wondering what everyone thinks as to what i should put in the 1x12s. should i put the greenbacks in? evm12l? v30? any help would be great thanks.

p.s. i have 2 rola 12" 12px speakers anyone know what these are worth?

That's weird. Just got my DC-3 also. I have a 4x12 with the cheap Celestions, and it actually sounds pretty good with my DC-3 head. Not too bass-ey, but plenty of bass if I want it. Not flabby either. I was going to replace the cheap Celestions with the EXACT speakers you're ditching: two Greenbacks and two G12s!

Now, I'm thinking of going smaller, too. I've been eyeing that Genz Benz 1x12. Don't have any idea what that "Private Jack" Eminence speaker they put in there sounds like, but it looks like a pretty cool 1x12 cab. Damned expensive, though.

dude check it out if ya got the money but imho this combo doesnt work for me genz benz are awesome check them out to.

Yeah, I'm looking at either the Genz Benz "Tribal" 1x12 cab, or the ported Mesa 1x12 Thiel cab. Both look awesome, and probably sound great. About the same price. The guy at the Mesa store said that Mesa uses, essentially, a re-branded Celestion G12H in their own cabs.

LEVEL4 said:
Because this amp is "less bright" than say, a Mark IV, I'm now thinkin' Celestion V30s.

V30's have a huge mid spike; good for amps like the Recto series which are very scooped sounding. EV's can be VERY bright if you EQ them "wrong" so if you want to add brightness i would recommend the EV over the V30. In general most Mesa's are not bright amps compared to Soldano's and Marshall's IMO.

Greg

Latest posts

Back