DC3 and heat issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rambler

Reaction score
I recently played a mark IV in aguitar shop that somebody had mounted a massive pc type fan inside. I'm wondering whether this is worth doing for my dc3 which runs HOT. Anybody performed this mod? Would it be worth it?

i have a dc5, wich runs hot too, but not something out of the ordinairy :)

you should feel my el34 based amps, i can heat my house with those things :d

you must know this:

your dc3 is 4 el84 tubes
an el84 tube requires about 0,76A heater current, so in your case, that is 3,04A

the heater voltage is 6,3V, so with ohms law (p = u * i), the deliver a heat of 20W (if we forget the amount of energy that is used to "loosen" the electrodes

now, your amp has also 5 12a*7 tubes, and they require 0,3A, for a total of 1,5A. again with ohms law that is a heat of 10w

so your amp generates about 30watts of heat :), and we forget the heat that is generated by the resistors etc :)

you dont want to know how much heat an el34 produces

for reference:

heatercurrent on the most used powertubes:
el84: 0,76A
el34: 1,5A
6V6: 0,4A
6L6 0,9A
kt66: 1,3A
kt88: 1,6A
6550: 1,6A

Nearly all the Mark Series amps had the fans.

If Boogie thought the DC's needed a fan, they would have installed one - I ran a DC3 for a few years - running it almost flat out on the larger venues and it got very very hot :twisted: :twisted: but never faltered.

I would leave it alone

Back