DC owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spot

Reaction score
I've had two DC-5 heads over the years and I love them. Chunkie enough for my main band and I can tone it down enough for my Alice Cooper tribute. But I've been looking to get a DC-10 head for awhile now but can't find a reasonably priced one to save my life. I was talking to a guy at a local guitar shop and he said I was wasting my time, that the power difference doesn't really effect the tone that much, just the maintains the tone clearer at louder volumes. That doesn't concern me because those amps are so stinking loud anyway but I always thought the DC-5's could be compressed a little more. Have any DC-10 owners played through DC-5's? Anyone realy know if there's a tonal difference? Thanks.

Well I have never played the smaller dc amps, but I do own a dc 10. I would imagine since the smaller dc's have el84s in them, as opposed to the 6l6's that the dc 10 has in it, that the tone would be different.
I don't know for sure, and someone correct me if I am wrong.

I will tell you for sure, that the tone of the DC 10 can not be beat. It has been my main amp since I bought it back in 92. This amp has been used playing many different styles of rock based music (Metal, Classic, Southern), and it gets the right tone every time!

The DC 5 has 2 6L6's, the DC 2 & 3 are the ones that run on EL84's.

The biggest thing that you should notice is the headroom. The DC-10 should sound much larger than the DC-5. Not that the 5 isn't a great amp, I currently have my sights set on one.

The 10 won't be that much louder, but you will have to make it work harder to get any Power Tube breakup.

If you like the tone of your 5 and have the Master on the Lead channel anywhere above 4 or 5, you might not like the 10 because of the increased headroom.

I like the Rectoverb more than the Dual Rectifiers that I have owned in the past. I can get more sizzle and sweetness out of the Rectoverb because I don't have to crank it to get the Power Tube saturation that I am looking for.

On the other hand, if your 5 is crapping out at loud volumes, maybe all you need is new tubes.

Monsta-Tone said:
The DC 5 has 2 6L6's, the DC 2 & 3 are the ones that run on EL84's.

The biggest thing that you should notice is the headroom. The DC-10 should sound much larger than the DC-5. Not that the 5 isn't a great amp, I currently have my sights set on one.

The 10 won't be that much louder, but you will have to make it work harder to get any Power Tube breakup.
The DC-10 has a switch that lets you run it at 100 watts or 60 watts, so you can get it to break up a volumes closer to the DC-5.

I had a DC-5 combo until last year, but I traded for a Nomad 100 instead of looking for a DC-10. The Nomad can run at 50 or 100 watts, but I like the sound better at 100 watts.

Latest posts

Back