DC-5 vs F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthumbs56

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post ... I've never owned a Boogie but am close to pulling the trigger on an F-50 combo. My dilema is that I was just offered a (later version) DC-5 for what seems to be a really good price.

Which way to go?

Hi , I recently had THE SAME dilemma. After playing all of the new Mesa's (up to about 1800 bucks), and a used DC5, a used Nomad 100 head, I came back to the F50. I probably could have saved a couple hunderd bucks buying the dc5, but to my ears the clean was a little better on the f50. also, you can't beat a 5 year warranty that you get with new ones. Easier to carry a combo too.

Basically, you just have to let YOUR ears decide.

Good luck!

Now that I'm down to only one amp: my Road King II, I've been considering another Mesa amp to compliment it. I'm looking at an F30 head because of the low power and EL84s. The 2 I've played so far have been great. I was also really surprised at how good the gain sounds on it.

I've had an F50 and ended up selling it for a Mark IV. From there I went to another Mark IV, a Stiletto and now the RKII.

The F-50 have great cleans but personally I like better the tone of the DC-5. To me for a good price you can get the DC-5 and as JP saids in the other forum, if you want to sell it later you get your money back on the other you will have to loose some. Also you may get later a used F-50 and you will have 2 amps almost for the price of 1 new... hope you find what you are looking for in tone.

And how do these amps compare to Subway Rocket? I like this little amp, but on occasion, I will swap it for a larger one. Which one is closer to it? DC-5 or F-50? Or a Mark IV? I am talking all used combos here. I am satisfied with the sound Rocket provides (with an external cab), but i need more volume and i would like to have two independent channels. Does the Contour switch work similar to the one on the Rocket?

allthumbs56 said:
Hi guys,

First post ... I've never owned a Boogie but am close to pulling the trigger on an F-50 combo. My dilema is that I was just offered a (later version) DC-5 for what seems to be a really good price.

Which way to go?

Allthumbs' at least try the amp before you shoot it full of holes!!

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Micah,

Not only gave the DC-5 a try but gave it a new home too.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with dialing it in but I think that the DC's offers a lot more flexibility over the F-series with the assignable EQ and individual presence controls. If it had the solo feature it would be perfect.

_______
Chris

allthumbs56 congratulations and hope you find your tone in there, those amps are nice and flexible and if you don't like it you can trade it in for the F-50 later.

Jaroslav, the contour works same on the F-series as the subway rocket. i think the SR is a little smaller in than the F-50 and DC-5, I had a rocekt 44 and it was a great amp but I think I prefer the flexibility of the DC-5 beside, I love the EL-84 tone but I have a couple of mavericks that kill almost anything else in that area.

Today, I have played the F-30 combo for a while. To my ears, at low volume it sounds really close if not the same on channel 2 with or without contour as my Rocket with V30 external box. What a nice little amp! I assume F-50 will be very close to it in terms of sound.

I played also a Roadster 112, but on low volume and only for a short while - no love at first look, but I am sure I could use one to subtitute my DR, If I wanted or needed to.

Back