DC-5 reverb circuit mods?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 9010

Reaction score
Okay, I'm on a roll here learning more about this amp, so I gotta continue throwing out questions.

I read somewhere that the Dual Cal series are all-known for a weak reverb circuit. Is this generally known to be true? And if so, has anyone done any mods to improve it? Don't need 60s Ampeg, Fender, or Gibson reverb, but anything better than it is now would be nice--just a little wetter. Maybe a good tube substitute?

one substitiute. electro harmonix holiest grail.

mine rocks! not even tried the reverb on my dc 10

A good high gain 12AX7 and this Reverb Tank, Accutronics R9AB2A1B should do the trick.

Even without the tank, a brand new tube in V5 will kick the Reverb up a notch.

You do have to turn the Reverb up a bit more than on Fender or Lonestar amps.

I'll try that Monsta. Groove Tubes claims that according to their testing, their 12AX7-C spec the highest gain, output, and QV of all others in the family. However, I have read conflicting reports from folks claiming it's BS. Hard to tell without trying them all out. I'll definitely try the longer spring reverb unit.

Thanks too darkmavis, but I'm trying for the natural spring reverb that the amp is supposed to have. I can always get great DSP reverb by pluggin into my Lexicon unit too.

LOL! I put a 12AT7 in the V5 ...on purpose! I like it better. Talk about different strokes, eh? :)

Edward

jman7272 said:
I would be curious to know is that reverb tank sounds great. My DC5 reverb is so weak.

It is definitely compatible?

Just check the code of your reverb tank, it gives you all the info (this is explained on the links I posted).

My DC-10 had this tank in it: P-R4AB3C1B

Maybe it wasn't original. Sorry for the misinformation. I'll have to take a look in my DC-5 and see what's in there.

The new tank and tube made all the difference in the world in my DC-10. I set the DC-5 next to it and realized that the Reverb on the DC-5 is 1/10 of the Reverb on the DC-10. It is almost non-existant.

Monsta-Tone said:
My DC-10 had this tank in it: P-R4AB3C1B. Maybe it wasn't original. Sorry for the misinformation. I'll have to take a look in my DC-5 and see what's in there.

The new tank and tube made all the difference in the world in my DC-10. I set the DC-5 next to it and realized that the Reverb on the DC-5 is 1/10 of the Reverb on the DC-10. It is almost non-existant.
I'll have to check mine as well when I have some time this weekend.

tetsubin said:
Isn't the Accutronics 9AB2A1B reverb tank the standard model used in the DC-5? My head has it. The Type 9 reverb is considered to be one of the deepest sounding spring reverbs - http://www.ampcomponents.co.uk/reverb.html

Here is the info on the numbers: http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~roymal/accutron.htm
Well, I finally got to check my tank, and you were right, tetsubin.

My DC-5 has the P-R9AB2A1B, Type 9 long spring.
10 ohm input, 2,575 ohm output, medium delay, insulated input, grounded output connectors, horizontal, open side down mounting. Used in Fender, Mesa Boogie amps.

Monsta-Tone, the unit in your DC-10 (P-R4AB3C1B) specs at 8 ohm input and 2,250 ohm output, and the DC-5 (P-R9AB2A1B)has 10 ohm input and 2,575 ohm output. Do you also have this unit in your DC-5?

I'll have to try a higher output 12AX7. According to the Pittman book, the highest output is the Chinese-made 12AX7-C. And maybe if I tried the P-R9AB3C1B, instead, which according the Accutronics site only differs by having an insulated input instead of a grounded input. Think this would work. This is supposed to have long delay instead of medium delay like the original.
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/Type9.htm

dcboogie said:
I'll have to try a higher output 12AX7. According to the Pittman book, the highest output is the Chinese-made 12AX7-C.

If you're looking for a louder delay in the mix you probably can't change much unless you'd have someone change some resistors in the circuit or so. (Just a guess, though.)
According to http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Tubeprimerandselection330.pdf
the JJ ECC83S don't have as much gain as the Chinese 12AX7, but they excel at current drive. Just a guess again, as I'm less than a layman when it comes to electronics, but the JJs might help you more with getting a louder reverb - they are worth a try, at least.

It's quite interesting what he writes about the JJs:
"This tube may be brighter or darker depending on amplifier. This is due to the higher output of this tube and it’s ability to “push” signal with it’s high current through complex front end circuits where other tubes show their limitations. [...] These are the masters of current drive in MOST, but not all factory batches. In modern amps such as a Bogner, Diezel, Rivera, or Mesa Recto series, these are the tubes that will push signal through those complex front ends."

I just gave them another chance in my DC-5 head in the 2nd and 3rd gainstage of the lead channel; the 1st and 4th are Chinese 12AX7. Compared with another Chinese tube they actually seem to deliver a little bit more bite and aggressiveness. But hey, some people can hear the grass grow. :lol:

Thanks tetsubin! I'll check'em out as well. I have a great go to amp guy/tech, so I'll throw the question by him too. And thanks for the link--that's a great piece of info. I'm just finishing the Dave Hunter book on Tube Amps, and this will make great follow up reading.

gem12 said:
tetsubin said:
Here's a video of the DC-3 with reverb: http://youtube.com/watch?v=syKpm6yd1iE

Enough reverb for me :)
I love the sound of your amp.
Are you using this tube(JJ ECC83S) in your V5 in combo with the original
reverb tank?

Oh, that's not my video. I just found it on youtube. Actually, at the moment I'm not using reverb at all with my DC-5 head, and I don't even have a JJ in the V5 position - I think I have an old Mesa labeled one in that slot - I have no complaints concerning the sound of the stock reverb with that (or any other) tube, though.

dcboogie said:
Okay, I'm on a roll here learning more about this amp, so I gotta continue throwing out questions.

I read somewhere that the Dual Cal series are all-known for a weak reverb circuit. Is this generally known to be true? And if so, has anyone done any mods to improve it? Don't need 60s Ampeg, Fender, or Gibson reverb, but anything better than it is now would be nice--just a little wetter. Maybe a good tube substitute?

IMHO well at least with my DC 10 212 I can say that I am really satisfied w/ my stock reverb. More than what I can get right now with this amp is an overkill. If you want more reverb then get a pedal. To me this amp is like a Fender Twin Reverb in Steroids.(SH&$%# did I say the "F" word?)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have to agree about the DC-10. Mine sits right next to a hot rodded Twin II and although the Twin has incredible cleans, it can't beat the DC for versatility and playabillity.

Latest posts

Back