DC-5 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck11976

Reaction score
Are there different versions ofthe DC-5? I just bought the dc5 head from a private seller. I came home and printed the owners manual and the pictures in the manual are slighly different then what's actually on the amp. For exapmle, the manual shows a rotary switch in the back for eq selection. My head, however, has a toggle switch there instead. Also, the manual shows LED lights for each channel right next to the input and footswitch jacks. My head has none. My head also has a headphone input on the back, the manual shows one. What is the deal? Can someone please explain? Thank you.

chuck11976 said:
Are there different versions ofthe DC-5? I just bought the dc5 head from a private seller. I came home and printed the owners manual and the pictures in the manual are slighly different then what's actually on the amp. For exapmle, the manual shows a rotary switch in the back for eq selection. My head, however, has a toggle switch there instead. Also, the manual shows LED lights for each channel right next to the input and footswitch jacks. My head has none. My head also has a headphone input on the back, the manual shows one. What is the deal? Can someone please explain? Thank you.

There are two versions. The "A" versions have plastic switches on the front and LEDs. The "B" versions have Metal switches and no LEDs.

I've owned both versions and prefer my "B" as it was one of the last ones to roll out of the factory in '98.

I have an A version with LED's.
It has metal switches on the front and a rotary switch on the back.
I have basically changed it to a B with some really great mods too.

The main differences were:
A:
1 button footswitch up front
LED's for Channels
Rotary Switch for EQ
Weaker EQ
Weaker Reverb
Clean channel had less headroom

All of this is easily fixed. These are great amps.
I've used mine as a platform for several of the mods that we sell in our shop.
Can't picture my music room without it!

Monsta-Tone said:
I have an A version with LED's.
It has metal switches on the front and a rotary switch on the back.
I have basically changed it to a B with some really great mods too.

The main differences were:
A:
1 button footswitch up front
LED's for Channels
Rotary Switch for EQ
Weaker EQ
Weaker Reverb
Clean channel had less headroom

All of this is easily fixed. These are great amps.
I've used mine as a platform for several of the mods that we sell in our shop.
Can't picture my music room without it!

So what gives the clean channel more headroom? Is it the 420v to v1a and v4 a/b instead of 287, in addition to the minor circuit changes?

Weaker EQ? That's the first I've heard of that, I think. How?

Yeah, that's the major contributor. It's a bit of a pain to change.
Also, if you change the preamp sections to point 'C' instead of point 'D,' you will most likely have to change the few components in A that differ from B.

As for the EQ, it's only the really early ones. Mostly, this affects the DC-3's.

Monsta-Tone said:
Yeah, that's the major contributor. It's a bit of a pain to change.
Also, if you change the preamp sections to point 'C' instead of point 'D,' you will most likely have to change the few components in A that differ from B.

Thanks mang. I'm not scared of removing or changing values of some components, but I'm not too sure I'm up to changing power taps, etc...

I'm going to send you a PM re: some lead channel mods. I think I'd like to futz around with the low-end a tad to "clean it up" and remove a little of the low-mids if possible.

Wow...the reverb was weaker in the "A" version? I can't imagine a weaker reverb than what's in my DC-5, and it's a "B" version. Playing with the band, it's more like turning up the "where did my amp go" dial!!

Fxrs said:
Wow...the reverb was weaker in the "A" version? I can't imagine a weaker reverb than what's in my DC-5, and it's a "B" version. Playing with the band, it's more like turning up the "where did my amp go" dial!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's easy to fix.

Monsta-Tone said:
Fxrs said:

I'm not, but please elaborate in case I ever decide to bring it to someone who is!

Monsta-Tone said:
Fxrs said:

do tell please sir...

Well, I can't tell you exactly how I do it because eventually I have to make a living at this.

But...you can increase the amount of signal coming in and leaving the reverb stages and it will increase the strength of the reverb itself. If you look at the drawing, there is a fair amount of series resistance in the circuit. Don't remove it all or the reverb will be too much.

I do some other stuff too, but some of the mods I have to keep for myself. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get my business off the ground so I won't have to be an electrician forever.

Back