DC-5 Head for $650. Is this a good deal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secretsoundz

Reaction score
I already have a Stiletto Ace combo. I want to expand my Mesa family & I've found a DC-5 head with "moderate cosmetic damage" for $650.

Is this a good deal? Can someone give the the scoop on this amp?

Will it sound different tonally from my Stiletto Ace?

It will sound VERY different from your Stilletto. The Stiletto strikes me as a very bright amp, and one adjective I've never used to describe my DC-5 is bright. The closest the Stilletto comes is "fluid drive". $650 doesn't strike me as too bad, depending on what thr damage is of course. Consider that Subway Rockets (my 1st Boogie) are going for more than they listed for, if it's only minor damage it sounds like a decent price.

I think $650 is a fair price. I bought a mint-condition DC-3 for $650 using "Buy it now." But, I also had to pop for another $100 to retube it, since the previous owner replaced the 12AX7s with 12AT7s (which sounded way lame). Although DC-series amps sometimes sell for as low as $500, these amps are so cool, IMO, that anything under $700 is pretty much a good deal in my eyes.

Note that the DC-series amps tend to be fairly "dark" (at least mine is). Don't expect the presence, treble, and punch of a Mark IV out of a DC amp. DC amps tend to sound very mid-rangey. To be honest, my DC-3 doesn't have quite enough treble to be my only amp (it does get markedly better as you turn it up though), but A/B/Y this amp with your "bright-sounding" Stilleto, and you'll be in heaven. I have my DC-3 A/B/Y'd into my Mark IV, and it's the best combination of sounds I've ever heard. Having the GEQ of both, DC-series and Mark-series amps dramatically broadens your tonal pallete, and once you've had it, you'll never want to play an amp without one again.

So sad. The seller flaked out (think he must have been a tweaker). He wouldn't send pics and didn't have a cab for me to try it on before I bought it. He wanted me to buy it without trying it out first. Lame!!

Maybe it wasn't meant to be! :(

Sounds like a cool amp though. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one...

Latest posts

Back