DC-5 for 1000 euros...worth the buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris20ire

Reaction score
I've been lookin for an amp and have tried a few Mesa's,but they didn't do it for me.I tried a DC-5 and thought it was the best distortion I have ever heard.I wasn't terribly sure about the clean,but then again I didn't have much time with it to experiment.I know a guy selling one for 1000 euros,is that a bargain?

chris20ire said:
I've been lookin for an amp and have tried a few Mesa's,but they didn't do it for me.I tried a DC-5 and thought it was the best distortion I have ever heard.I wasn't terribly sure about the clean,but then again I didn't have much time with it to experiment.I know a guy selling one for 1000 euros,is that a bargain?

Thats about 1400 US?

No thats way too high. You could scrounge a used mark iv for that price.

I paid 560 US for my DC5 and it was in great condition/

LTE said:
chris20ire said:

Thats about 1400 US?

No thats way too high. You could scrounge a used mark iv for that price.

I paid 560 US for my DC5 and it was in great condition/
Probably closer to 1500 US.I thought it was rather high too,but if you consider the cost of Mesa Boogie in Ireland.For example the Mark V retails at roughly 3800-4000 here.Not sure what the cost is in the U.S but I'm sure it works out cheaper than that?Is the DC-5 a worthwhile buy or would I be better off saving for a Mark or Lonestar or something?

Yeah I guess you should factor in location and rarity.

I LOVE my dc5, but if had the kind of cash that guy is asking, i would rather save for a much higher end boogie.

LTE said:
Yeah I guess you should factor in location and rarity.

I LOVE my dc5, but if had the kind of cash that guy is asking, i would rather save for a much higher end boogie.
Well I tried a Mark V but couldn't get anywhere near the DC-5 tone.The DC-5 sound just blow me away whereas the Mark V seemed harsh and shrill.Though I reckon the Mark V clean had an edge.But it seemed to me like the DC-5 had more gain and everything,unless the Mark V I had was a dud.

I got my DC-5 head for $700 shipped. $1400-1500 range seems crazy to me, but I dont know what the availibilty is there. Anyone know what the DC-5 was brand new from Mesa in the '90s? Id think it couldnt be more than $1200 or so.

I have heard that everything costs way more over there...
My thought is if you have the money and the amp "blew you away" get it!
Doesn't much matter what anyone else paid for one...unless you are likely to sell it again later.
I cannot sell any of my gear even when not using it...so price is only relative to how much I want/love the amp in question!

Cannot go wrong with a DC!

Anyone know what the DC-5 was brand new from Mesa in the '90s? Id think it couldnt be more than $1200 or so.

Pretty good guess!

From Sep. '96 Price List

DC-5 Medium Chassis Head.........$999
DC-5 1x12 Combo w/ C-90..........$1099

BTW...

Mark IV Head (long or short)........$1499
Mark IV 1x12 C-90.....................$1599
Mark IV 1x12 EVM 12L.................$1699

And, the most expensive....
Trem-O-Verb 2x12......................$1799

As they say buy an amp with your ears!

If that amp sounds good to you and you prefer it over other Boogie's then that is the amp for you .

Dont buy an amp because "other" people say one is better than the other because believe me you WILL regret that decision.

I have a DC5 and will never sell it because it does everything I want (Country right thru to Satriani)

Here in Ireland you are gonna pay much much more for a Mesa than in the States but try to haggle with the seller for a better deal after all if he is selling it in the first place he obviously needs/wants the money!

i bought my MESA DC-5 for
350.00 USD = 235.069 EUR

sure thats better than average but i think 1000 EU is too much!

Latest posts

Back