DC-5 able to achieve Mark IIC+ ish sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyze

Reaction score
Still considering the DC-5, although this past week ive been really curious on getting another rack unfortunately..

The Studio Pre sounds like it is basically a carbon copy of the IIC+ in a preamp, and the Triaxis is just like everything..

But I still want to keep my combo amp I have right now, its blue tolex and just made perfectly for me. The DC-5 would fit right in I believe, or any medium sized mesa (but the DC-5 is within my price range)

Can the DC-5 pull off a good IIC+ tone?

If your asking if a DC-5 can get that "Master of Puppets" and "Justice" tone than yes, I've never really played thru a MKII c+ so I can't
give you a direct comparison. I can tell you if you want old school Metallica tones or any type of metal at volume an open back 1x12 is
not going to have the tight bass response that you'll need, you will need at least a closed-back 2x12 , a 4x12 even better.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure there is someone on hear that can give you a direct comparison.

Ive gotten near exactly Petrucci's intro solo tone on "The Count of Tuscany". If I'm not mistaken, he plays that on a IIC+ (outro solo on the IV?)

what about like the cleanish intro to The Count of Tuscany? I know i'll need external reverb/chorus or whatever, but yeh.

Skyze said:
what about like the cleanish intro to The Count of Tuscany? I know i'll need external reverb/chorus or whatever, but yeh.

Petrucci layered acoustic and clean for the intro. Piezo ftw

Eq'd right, like mine and many others on this forum, it can get very close. Ive never owned a Mk IIc+ or heard one in person, but assuming you are looking for a petrucci type tone, as long as you can play loud, it will sound great.

Oh yes, definitely.

Theres a little trick though. to get the really metallic "chug-clink" like on metallica records, i found it sounds best for about 3 days after you put on new strings. its really strange. when theyre new, they add this added treble/brightness on some freqs and when you palm mute it makes it sound like a choking noise, like metallica - battery's riffage does. after that it sounds great, but for some reason that magic disappears. I think im gonna buy a 10 band eq at some point and experiment to find those freqs.

injected said:
Oh yes, definitely.

Theres a little trick though. to get the really metallic "chug-clink" like on metallica records, i found it sounds best for about 3 days after you put on new strings. its really strange. when theyre new, they add this added treble/brightness on some freqs and when you palm mute it makes it sound like a choking noise, like metallica - battery's riffage does. after that it sounds great, but for some reason that magic disappears. I think im gonna buy a 10 band eq at some point and experiment to find those freqs.

Haha - new strings do sound great. I find a boost pedal gives you the chug for good. Haha.

injected said:
Oh yes, definitely.

Same here. I remember right after I bought the amp, I plugged in with a guitar that had old strings... needless to say, I freaked out; I thought something was wrong with my new amp. Nope, old strings was all. Go figure.

I think the DC amps are voiced very close to the Mark amps... well the lead channel anyway. I can get a pretty good Petrucci sound out of mine. It can do the old Metallica type sound pretty well too. Awesome amps!

Latest posts

Back