DC-5/10 vs. mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
I've heard great things about the DC series and am looking for something that my recto can't do. I'm sooo intrigued by the mark IV but frankly, its just out of my price range.
I'm looking for an amp that can give me a great chimey clean and a great clear distortion.

1. How do the cleans compare to each other ?(DC-5, DC-10, Mark IV).

2. How do the distortions compare to each other?
(i've heard DC models are very similar to mark IVs except its a little more modern sounding a la recto)
T or F?

3. Which has the most gain on tap?

I've got the DC-5, and it's a fantastic amp. The cleans are excellent, and the gain tones are very versatile. I'd say the high gain is a more Recto-ish Mark tone. It's a bit darker of an amp, but I love it.

I nearly bought an ROV (and still may at some point) but the DC IMO is a bit cooler, and a little more unique.

I have a DC-2, which is the smallest in the DC series but still comparable to a DC-5. I also own a Mark IV, and in my opinion the DC-2 is a better amp for pure tone. The cleans are very similar, but to my ears the reverb on the DC is better (deeper, longer decay). The gain channel is where my preference lies. I find the gain on the DC to be more fluid as far as feel goes. I think the DC has slightly more gain, and as mentioned previously can get a bit closer to a Recto-style tone with the contour setting or GEQ engaged. I use the gain channel with the contour switch off, as I prefer a generous amount of mids in my tone (my amp does not have a GEQ). I also think the Mark IV is brighter sounding, I turn the treble and presence to zero and it still sounds a bit too bright for my taste. The DC does sound darker to me, or at least not quite as bright (as a previous member noted).

Both are great amps, the Mark IV is famous for versatility, and it does shine in that department. However, I find myself using the DC most of the time as I prefer the basic tone of that amp over the Mark IV. Great cleans and as much gain as a person could need. For price and value, I would purchase a DC-5. If you need all the bells and whistles then the Mark IV would be your amp, but if one or two great tones is all you need the DC should fit the bill. In addition, the Mark IV is tighter sounding, so take that into consideration when evaluating your needs. I prefer a more loose sound and feel, so the DC suits my taste better (although I will never part with the Mark IV!).

Latest posts

Back