DC-3 vs. Nomad 45 vs. Maverick?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
I play jazz, blues, and classic rock, and I am considering one of these three. Which would you guys prefer, or consider to be the most versatile and best sounding for my application?

For all out "vintage" tone I would select the Maverick.

Class A, rectifier tube 5AR4 ... The gain is moderate for Classic Rock.

But the other choices would be just as good but you did asks my opinion.

Haven't played the others but the Nomad 45 is a good option.

You can get some good dirty blues tones out of ch2 and ch3. Ch2 is a bit more "thicker" sounding and Ch3 is a bit thinner and cleans up nice.

Cleans are good but not nearly as good as the Lonestar cleans. Reverb is kind of weak in comparison to other boogies.

The Maverick is a great amp and I think out of those 3 the best but the cleans on the Maverick are more in the middle or darker tone. If you like some brigthness then the DC or the nomad may be better but for classic rock I would say the Maverick is better. Also if possible try first and check if that is what you like, also consider the 4x10 version is possible the best one (at least to me) in cleans and tone. Good luck

nosajwp said:
How would a Heartbreaker fit for the kinds of music I play?
I think a HeartBreaker would suit your style just great too. More headroom cleans over the three amps you asked about.

Is there a reason why you prefer the discountined Boogies over say a LoneStar Classic?

nosajwp said:
They're cheaper!!!
Where? :shock: Please Don't say E-Bay! I'm looking for a Maverick.

I know LoneStar Special owners are going to chime in and say why don't I just get LoneStar Special?

Uh ... yes LoneStar Special is more versatile its just that I will always be setting at 30 watts mode w/ 5AR4 (Maverick). There is something about the tube vintage mojo of running at full (full 30 watts not 15 watts or 5 watts) with the output transformer and specially with a rectifier tube. Maybe its my upbringing playing with low power guitar tube amps. :?

Now someone is going to chime in and say because its Class A, a rectifier's sag is not as noticeable as Class A/B. True, but I'm going for the the whole tube mojo. :D

Latest posts

Back