DC-3/5 and the Santana/Carlton/Ford tone??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Need some opinions --> Can the DC-3/5 cop the classic Boogie Santana/Larry Carlton/Robben Ford lead tone or am I better off with say an earlier Mark series? Price is my main issue here. FWIW, I have a Heartbreaker head that has been breaking my wallet to where I may just part it out (long story), but it DOES cop the tone I'm looking for. THanks for the opinions!

Matt

You could get fairly close with the DC-5 ( with my experience) although a bit more on the darker side.. but if you want spot on, definitely the Mark series. I've been eyeballin' a DC amp lately to go with my III's. My III's as their set now are pretty much set up for that Santana/Carlton/Ford tone...and early Al Dimeola. Sweet amps if you want that buttery smooth tone. I've found with early Mark series amps are very dependent and best responsive with a good set of pups and NOS tubes,especially with the tone we speak of.

~Nep~

I have both a DC5 and a MKIIB. Although the MkII is what Carlton used in the late 70's early 80's the DC 5 can get very close. The lead channel on the DC 5 is a bit darker. I like the clean channel on the DC5 with the gain dimed and the boost pulled. It gets very responsive and articulate...like the newer Ford/Carlton sounding stuff. It's bluesier and cleans up well with the guitar volume knob.

I own a DC5 and MKIII Simul and use the MKIII for the Carlton/Ford sound that they get from their Dumbles. I actuallybought the MKIII because I couldn't get close enough with the DC5.
Now, that being said, the DC5 is an incredible amp and value for the money. My original plan was to use the DC5 with a Zendrive pedal (which Robben Ford uses on some lfy-dates when he doesn't bring the whole rig) or a Wampler pedal.
If you are managing to a budget, the DC5 and a great pedal will give you anything from Petrucci to Carlton/Ford.
Just my humble opinion and food for thought.....

I seek the grail........
What is your favorite color? Blue. ARRRRGGHGHGHGHGHGGHHG

Sorry, the Scotch kicked in

Latest posts

Back