DC-2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few questions:
general opinion on the DC-2? what is it good for? what is it less good for?
What is a resonable price for a DC-2 (with the contour channel) in mint condition with an Imbuya wood cab and wicker grille? (preferably in £££s)
What do the 2 footswitch buttons do?
What is the difference between the Rhythm and Lead Channels?
Does the Contour channel use the controls for the Rhythm or the Lead?

Thanks a lot! I just want to make sure I'm making the right purchase...

I believe they (mine is a "Studio Caliber") are good for classic '70s rock (more bluesy like Neil Schon style) and blues. It's definitely not very modern, unless you consider electronic vocal pop guitar sounds. I like very modern sounds (Tri-Axis / Demeter w/ STP mod / THD Univalve) so that should tell you something. I have tweaked mine a little with tube and speaker choices. I put a Weber Ceramic 1230-55 (30w 55 Hz cone) and that was the most effective upgrade per $. I also got a Fulltone OCD pedal to try and modernize the distortion sound, but I ended up liking it as a bright/overdrive boost more on the clean channel. The Lead gain is very smooth (I guess even order harmonics???) and the amp has a lot of low-mids. Rhythm is clean channel / Lead is high gain channel. There is a large gap between the two channels in regards to gain. The reverb doesn't sound very good unless you put a 5751 in the driver spot.

Hope that helps you.

+1 on classic sounds...not modern sounding at all. I've tried mixing and matching tubes to lessen the gap between the clean and gain channels and so far have a lineup I'm fairly happy with. 12ax7EH in V1, TS in V2, JAN12at7 in V4, and JJs everywhere else. So far JJs in the power slots sound the best. I'm sold on how this little monster sounds w/ my 2x12 cab, but I need some more low end from the combo speaker itself so it will be a little more "self-sufficient". Running a Private Jack at present, didn't like V30 at all. Probabaly gonna try a Guitar Warehouse Veteran 30 or maybe their ET-65. One of those should work. Oh, and I always run an EQ pedal...gotta have that! :mrgreen:

As far as volume...this thing WILL make your ears ring. It's incredible how loud this 20 watts can get. I love how mine sounds w/ a 2x12, but for fun, hook it up to a 4x12 and stand back!!! It's just crazy good sounding... :twisted: hope this all helps.

My first Boogie was a "Studio Caliber", this was before they renamed it the DC-2 and added the contour control. Part exchanged it for an Orange Rocker 30, probably the stupidest gear exchange I have ever made.
As I recall the cleans were superior to the previous Studio amps (definitely the case when compared to my Studio .22), but I always struggled a little with the lead channel.
The mid control on these (and indeed all other), dual caliber amps is very potent and acts as a gain boost beyond 4 or so on the dial. This is worth baring in mind since the DC-2 doesn't have a graphic eq.
Think the contour is a preset "Classic V" setting or similar.
Reverb on the lead channel was also considerably weaker than on the clean/rhythm channel.
Having said that, I really miss mine and I'm looking for another as we speak (I think we've both spotted the same beauty on the 'bay :wink: ).
Not sure about the value of the hardwood though, its the first I've seen. Bare in mind that the standard model was £695 new back in the day when you're placing a value on it.

IMHO, I'd pass on the DC2 and go for a DC3 (or 5 if you want more bottom end and girth from 6L6 tubes).

The DC2 is a good amp, but they lack the GEQ that does so much in adding tonal versatility. Yes there is good "core tone" there on which to build, no question there. But the GEQ really transforms the amp in that if offers huge tonal latitude. Both channels benefit, too, as you can sculpt your tone with far greater effect than with just the tone knobs. Once you learn how the gain setting, tone knobs, and GEQ all interplay, you truly have one of the most versatile amps on the planet with these DCs (and Marks, too). And the cost difference with a DC3 or 5 is negligible given what you get in return. All IMHO, of course ...but heck, you asked. :)

Edward

DC-2 is one of Randall's best. The DC-3 is very similar. I've had both. Can't go wrong either way.

I owned a DC-2 Studio Caliber for over 10 years. Its the only amp ive ever sold and not regretted it at some point. It's not the best boogie amp out there. but like someone above mentioned, I like modern hi gain and I was always trying to get a Mark sound out of it which just wasn't going to happen on the DC-2. The reverb was pretty bad also if I remember correctly. just all around weak sausage.

Oh and it has a Parallel effects loop that worked ok but I much prefer a serial loop.

If the price is right and it's in your area, it's a **** good amp.
Especially if you like more vintage style tones.
The Contour really helps to get more of a modern tone on the lead channel.

It has a parallel loop, but that can be easily fixed in a matter of minutes. Changing the loop to series really helps if you like delays in the loop.

I have a DC-3 & a DC-5. Edward is right, the graphic EQ really adds so much to the amp. I use mine for a very nice lead boost.
:mrgreen: Then again, I add gobs of gain to my lead channels too, so the vintage sounding comment doesn't really apply to mine..... :mrgreen:

SwampAshSpecial said:
The Vintage tones are really what I'm after tbh... anyone else like to drop in?
Which vintage tones?

Marshall? Fender? Vox?

1950's? 1960's? 1970's? 1990's?

the DC-2 is an EL-84 amp, so it's closer to Vox sounds than the other two.

The DC-2 is somewhat similar to the Fender Blues Jr., but with more gain available.

You need to scoop the mids for a more traditional blackface Fender sound.

Probably a high-mid boost for Marshall type sounds.

Latest posts

Back