DC-2 "windy" sound in rh channel - pls. help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guttapercha

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I bought a DC-2 recently and the clean channel has a roaring wind sound that is modifiable with the gain and tone controls. The leads me to suspect that the problem is in the preamp section. There are not any apparently microphonic tubes.

Thank you very much,

JD

No dice. The only thing that seems to help a little bit is changing V6, but the problem doesn't go away totally.

Thanks,

JD

clean your pots while you're at it.
the "windy" sound in my mark IV was from bad lead drive and lead gain pots that needed replacing.

changing V1 to a lower gain tube fixed the wind in my MkIII's lead channel.

I used to run the "High-Gain" set from Eurotubes in my DC-2 and it was dead silent.

I've tried lower gain tubes in V1 and, although I think it helps the Clean channel, it kills the Distortion channel.

lol, I dunno about the DC-2 but gain's not really a problem in a MkIII... there's always more gain somewhere :)

It might have been a bad tube, too. If possible swap V1 with the same kind of tube first...

Cool - thank you for all of the replies. I'll try V1 next and see what happens. The amp was an ebay acquisition, which was supposedly in excellent condition.
Supposedly the tubes were all replaced in November with JJs.....

Thanks for the advice too about cleaning the pots

If none of the above fixes the problem, what's next, a recap?

Appreciatively,

JD

On Vintage Fenders & sometimes Marshalls, there is a hissing sound attributed to the Grid resistors on the Preamp Tubes. Commonly refered to as teh "100k's." They are carbon composition resistors and tend to create lots of noise when they get old. Most of the Mesa amps that I've seen have metal film resistors which do not suffer from this problem. But....you never know.

Could also be dirty tube sockets. I've seen this cause lots of wierd noises.

The problem was definitely V1. The fact that the tone of the windy noise was modifiable with the controls is consistent with this diagnosis too, because the tone control stage is right after V1 in the circuit diagram.

Thanks all for the help!

Finally rocking,

JD

Latest posts

Back