DC-10 purchase after Mark III..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm interested in picking up a DC-10 head sometime after I receive my Mark III here in a little over a week. How do you folks like the DC line? I had a friend who had a DC-3 combo a long time ago that sounded pretty awesome but other then that I haven't heard much of them. I'm looking to expand and get some diversity going in tones aside from my Mark III--maybe even throw them both into a double head rack/amp case for the road. I'd like to get some opinions on the amp. I'm assuming the DC-5 is just as nice at 50watts. IDK--let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Hey folks,

I'm interested in picking up a DC-10 head sometime after I receive my Mark III here in a little over a week. How do you folks like the DC line? I had a friend who had a DC-3 combo a long time ago that sounded pretty awesome but other then that I haven't heard much of them. I'm looking to expand and get some diversity going in tones aside from my Mark III--maybe even throw them both into a double head rack/amp case for the road. I'd like to get some opinions on the amp. I'm assuming the DC-5 is just as nice at 50watts. IDK--let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

~Nep~

Hi Nep,
I may not be the *best* to answer since I've only had my DC-3 for a few weeks, but I will tell you what I think of it so far. I really like it. I've had other Mesa's (Mark IV, .50 Cal +, single recto, studio pre etc) and I really like the way the DC-3 acts and responds to adjustments. There is a good amount of gain available, but it maintains focus and doesn't turn to mush. It's more of a gritty distortion rather than buzzy/fizzy.
I just went through and changed out some preamp tubes, have some new EL84's coming, and will most likely drop in a new OT (maybe even a few mods from monsta-tone). If those things improve it as much as I think they will, then this amp should be unstoppable ;-)

I run my DC-10's gain at 10 occasionally with no feedback!

The 10 is much wider than the III is.
The 5 is the same size as the III Widebody.

The cleans on the 5 are not nearly as nice as they are on the 3 & 10 if you are looking for pristine cleans, but they do the middle ground, slightly gritty cleans in spades!

As far as having a III and a DC-10, that would give you an incredible amount of tonal terrain!
The 10 is a little more 'Modern' sounding than the III. Probably about as much gain, depending on which stripe you have, although the 10 may have a bit more.

If I put all of the tone knobs, the Gain, and the Presence at 7 on my DC I get modern Santana tone out the wazoo! If I turn the Gain down a bit, I can nail Abraxas tones.

I use mine in our band and we cover a lot of newer rock like The Used, some Rush, hopefully some Zappa, and tons of originals.
I have no problem getting any tone I am looking for between the amp and my guitars.

Latest posts

Back