Dc 10 effects loop mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx78

Reaction score
Hello

I just joined and briefly saw something on here about a effects loop mod. Something about wiring in series instead of parallel. Can someone explain in simple terms what this might do for tone improvements? Or will this help with any other effects issues? Right now I have a mxr carbon copy and an eh small clone in the loop, mix set to 100% wet. I do notice a slight volume drop when these pedals are engaged and sounds like some of the high end is diminished, just a little. Is this a normal reaction to the effect being engaged or could this be some sort of reaction between these particular pedals and then effects loop? I also noticed that when both pedals are engaged and the loop mix is set to 50%, there is a huge volume drop. Is this normal? Hope this makes some kinda sense!

Thanks!

I don't think the serial effects loop mod would help in your case. Serial loops are best for line level effects (rack processors), and parallel loops are favored with pedals to avoid the kinds of issues you're having right now. The fact that your pedals are instrument level and the loop might be line level (despite being parallel) could be the root of your problems.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33293

The Series Loop mod will help a lot. I used to use pedals with my DC's and the Loops are really nice when they are converted to Series. In Parallel, you will loose a lot of sparkle (top end) and delay repeats.
I think there is a drawing somewhere on that thread. It shows simply moving a white wire to another leg of the pot.
I prefer to remove the pot altogether and use the hole for something else.

One thing the mod doesn't mention is that it is a good idea to replace both the Send and Receive jacks with better quality Switchcraft jacks.
Once the loop is converted to Series, all of the signal will pass through the Send jack's switching mechanism. A lot of guys have had problems with their sound cutting out. This is easily fixed by using a short patch cable between the Send & Return jacks (if there is nothing plugged into the loop).
I figure it's worth it to just change them out while you're in there!

Hope this helps.
Andy

Well, I'm willing to experiment a little with this so when I finally get around to it I will post the results. Thanks for the input.

Back