DC-10 blowing tubes one after the other

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2dark

Reaction score
3 days ago my DC-10 blow a power tube, nothing to worry about so far but when i changed them, the new one where running really deep bleu and the blue glow was reacting to my playing. i blow 2 tube in less then an hour at gig volume, plates where red when i look at the tubes as i herd a weird noise and the fuse blow too.

its was power tube 1 and 2 ( form the left ) that where red.
i was using 6l6 425 and change for 440.

now, i've get an other pair of tube form the store but the tubes are still running bleu.

am i gonna destroy those tubes again ???

any help will be appreciated

Blue is ok, red is bad. Sounds like bad tubes. Mesa tubes aren't very reliable IMO, especially if they are old, the louder you play, and the more you use them, you will need to change them more often, just like strings on your guitar, you don't wait until they break before you change them do you?

425's are 5881's, sounds like your DC-10 doesn't like those! Try the 6L6's for a while and hope they are a more reliable choice.

I had an early Dual Rectifier that was doing the same thing (blowing fuses, red tubes) and it turned out being failed resistors in the bias. I'd take it to an authorized Boogie repair shop and get it checked out before you make it worse.

"DC-10 blowing tubes one after the other"

There are numerous ways to make it blow the tubes all at once..... :D

If you are using tubes that are rated within the safe range for your amp,you most likely have a problem in the amp.It could be a bias circuit issue or when the first tube cooked it took out a screen resistor and then any tube you use without fixing that resistor issue will fail.Have it checked by a tech.

Latest posts

Back