Cutting Through with a DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellero

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got me a 3 channel Dual Rectifier and was wondering what settings you guys would suggest that would help me cut through the mix without having to crank it way high. I have a Boss 7 band EQ pedal in the loop and I'm playing on channel 3 Modern.

I play in a Thrash Metal band by the way, somewhat of an Old slayer soundish.

Thanks in advance! :twisted:

Don't scoop out the mids...Leave them at least at 10:30. Don't turn the Gain past 2:30. Don't turn the bass up high either.

Basically, mids help you cut through. Then use the Boss eq to taste.

boosting mids and not using too much gain is probably the most popular answers you'll get. I always had trouble cutting through with my DR and finally realized a DR is meant to be a big, massive, fizzier sound. I sold it and got a Stiletto. Stiletto's cut, DR's bludgeon.

Im one that follows the paths less trodden. You play similar music to what I do.

For my rhythm channel: channel 3 modern
I peg the gain, lows are cabinet dependant, but usually somewhere between 11 and 1 on the clockface. Mids usually about 10:30 to noon, and highs around 1:00. The presence is where I have found with a 3-ch Dualie kills the cutting power of the amp. I tend to put mine right around 10:30. This will take quite a bit of the hissy highs out of the equation.

Lead channel: Channel 2 vintage
Set as above and balance the master on the channel to be slightly higher in volume.

I have found that I do not really like an eq in the loop. YMMV, When I do use one I set it up front of the amp and set the sliders to form a very low frown. With an eq with a level adjustment I bump that up until it gets a bit uncontrollable, then just back it off until its right before the edge of instability.

Usually I just put a Od pedal out front set up as a boost. I have no problem cutting through the rest of the band.

I have also found that I do not like using the output volume and solo knobs for my style of music. The amp seems to have a nastier(in a good way) tone using the volumes of the channels as the main volume output.

SouthernHell:

I'll give that a shot as well! What is pegging the gain though haha, I'm not familiar with that one! And I have a Recto cab, so I figure it should be closer to 11 then right?

You want to cut through? Get a Stiletto. Still need that Recto sound too? Throw an EQ in there. That's what I did. Well, I still have my Recto as a backup.

jab said:
Stiletto's cut, DR's bludgeon.

Haha, that's actually a pretty good analogy. Never had a problem cutting through with a Dual Recto before. Just stick your mids on 12 Noon, toss an OD in front as a boost and you're golden.

I will say this... Sometimes it's not the amp, but the other items in the signal chain, that impact how well an amp cuts. I found that some guitars in my arsenal just always seem to stand out.

Also speakers play a big part. I know lots of folks (myself included) like the Vintage 30's. When they are new, they sound OK. But once broken in they tend to cut better. Also some Eminence speakers cut really nicely with my DR.

Tubes help too. 6V6's in my DR give a nice warm tone in Vintage mode that sings better than 6L6's or EL34's. But, the 6V6's don't sound as good in Modern modes.

It took me two years to get my DR to cut. It was ALWAYS fighting me. I ultimately sold it and got a Mk. III. Which freaking kills.

ANYHOW!

There's a kind of guideline when it comes to cutting in a mix. That is - if it sounds the way you want it in your room, it's not going to cut through the mix. A sound that's a bit upper-midrangey and a little bright will cut best. And while it'll sound unpleasing all by itself, it'll sound great in the mix.

Also turn the gain down.

Tried it with some more mids today...sounded pretty good, and cut through much better!

Here's a question I thought up, how does Metallica have such a nice cutting sound on MOP when the mids were at virtually 0? Clarity please!

Ellero said:
Tried it with some more mids today...sounded pretty good, and cut through much better!

Here's a question I thought up, how does Metallica have such a nice cutting sound on MOP when the mids were at virtually 0? Clarity please!

Production.

Elpelotero said:
Don't scoop out the mids...Leave them at least at 10:30. Don't turn the Gain past 2:30. Don't turn the bass up high either.

Basically, mids help you cut through. Then use the Boss eq to taste.

+1. Biggest mistake of guys with Rects is that they set their mids so low and gain so high. It becomes this fizzy thin mess.

camsna said:
Ellero said:

Production.

Perhaps they were still using Marshall amps? I was under the impression they used Marshall's early on before switching over to Mesa. I don't believe they used Recto's until the Black album. I was also under the impression they used Mark IIc's at some point. Anyone feel free to correct my loose knowledge of Metallica's gear history.

Okay, check this link: http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/jayhiseq.shtml. Assuming this info is accurate, they've never used Recto's. I was under the impression that they did start using them at some point. Note the Marshall/Mark combinations for Master of Puppets.

Yes, sorta, depends, etc. The Marshall's are a more mid-voiced line of amps. Scooping the mids give them that classic dark sound and they'll still cut. The Recto's,on the other hand, are already naturally scooped from the get-go. Scooping them on your EQ is only going to slice more mids out to the point where it would be exceptional for metal rhythm tones, but leads could get dicey. Of course, it all depends on the music that you;re playing. Not everyone is doing metal, that's why I got into the sorta-depends side of things. I still have my Recto, but I recently switched over to a Stiletto to get that cut that I was looknig for. They're both really good amps, but I feel that they both have opposite roles in the musical spectrum. My view: Recto=rhythm amp, Stiletto/Mark=lead amp. I'm sure I'll get roasted for that, but I'm just going by experience. Trust me, I would rather have not dished out the $$$$ for a Stiletto. Then again, I love the amp. Try cutting back on the gain on your Recto also, it may very well help. If you think you have just enough gain, cut back. I just listened to our last gig and immediately realized I didn't need as much distortion as I was using.

I think the stiletto's are a great in between amp, good for rythem and lead, doesnt excel at either one, but most people would never know the difference.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Yes, sorta, depends, etc. The Marshall's are a more mid-voiced line of amps. Scooping the mids give them that classic dark sound and they'll still cut. The Recto's,on the other hand, are already naturally scooped from the get-go. Scooping them on your EQ is only going to slice more mids out to the point where it would be exceptional for metal rhythm tones, but leads could get dicey. Of course, it all depends on the music that you;re playing. Not everyone is doing metal, that's why I got into the sorta-depends side of things. I still have my Recto, but I recently switched over to a Stiletto to get that cut that I was looknig for. They're both really good amps, but I feel that they both have opposite roles in the musical spectrum. My view: Recto=rhythm amp, Stiletto/Mark=lead amp. I'm sure I'll get roasted for that, but I'm just going by experience. Trust me, I would rather have not dished out the $$$$ for a Stiletto. Then again, I love the amp. Try cutting back on the gain on your Recto also, it may very well help. If you think you have just enough gain, cut back. I just listened to our last gig and immediately realized I didn't need as much distortion as I was using.

Back