custom mark iv headshell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
i am going to be constructing a headshell for my mark iv widebody, converting it from a combo into a head. is it necessary to make the notches for connecting the sides, or will gluing them flat be enough? if i cover the head in material i will use screws, but i want a stain as of right now. also should i make it just like a mesa head or maybe change depth/height dimensions? i will also be making a thiele cab to match, i was thinking of going with a dark cherry red finish with black grilles. any suggestions for covering materials/stains/designs are welcome...

edit: what are good wood choices for a stain and where is it available?

im just making it out of 5/8" MDF or plywood. either a bedliner type of finish or tolex.

i need a dimension from someone please... how tall is the mark iv head? i could estimate but i'd rather have the actual measurement. thanks

I can't say as to the measurements but I'd stay away from MDF if you plan on ever moving it around. It just really doesn't hold up very well.

i just found the measurments, but thanks anyways. good thinking on the MDF, i used it for some sub boxes but those never get moved, so it looks like plywood is the way to go.

If you plan on using plywood, I'd suggest tolexing it instead of staining it. Bare plywood doesn't look as good as tolex, and it will also be much easier (If you know how) than staining. I'd only go stained if you made it out of hardwood, but that will be much more expensive. The "notches" are called dovetails, and they are really more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. You can get just as strong of a joint (if not stronger) by using angle steel on the inside of the cabinet.

Latest posts

Back