Custom 22 or Les Paul?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's ashame, you couldn't try the carvin cali singlecut first....

the first time you get to, you should.
it's an eye opener for most.

I looked at the Carvins, but wasn't sold. [they had a LOT in stock which to me means there were a lot of returns] I have a DC400 that I do like though. So you think the California Carved Tops stack up with the PRS and LPs?

-dave

I aggre with MusicManJP6, Gibsons are a huge hit and miss. Also, if you do end up with a Gibson; be warned. I you use strings with a higher gauge then 9-46, the headstock will snap off and nail you in the face. Gibson doesn't reenforce their head stocks, they don't even add a valute to the neck. Another thing to consider. the way that they attatch their necks are also flawed. They only have wood on their necks touch the body were the 22nd fret is. If you move around when you play, then the guitar will go out of tune left and right.

My Gibson has been amazing so far! One of the best guitars I've ever played. I use 9 - 42 strings, guitar practically never goes out of tune, and the tone is incredible!

However, I've played quite a few at local music stores that feel worse than my friend's Epi Special II. I bought my Gibson used without trying it first, but even after having such great luck, I will never do that again.

I look forward to owning a PRS someday, but I have to buy an Uberschall Twin Jet before i can even THINK about anything else!

Guitar GeeK said:
I aggre with MusicManJP6, Gibsons are a huge hit and miss. Also, if you do end up with a Gibson; be warned. I you use strings with a higher gauge then 9-46, the headstock will snap off and nail you in the face. Gibson doesn't reenforce their head stocks, they don't even add a valute to the neck. Another thing to consider. the way that they attatch their necks are also flawed. They only have wood on their necks touch the body were the 22nd fret is. If you move around when you play, then the guitar will go out of tune left and right.

Wow! Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but the quote above is just ridiculous.

I've played and owned many Gibson over the past 25 years with models that have ranged from the mid 70's - 2009. An have never heard of, or seen, a headstock snapping off from heavy gauge strings. I've personally never used anything lighter than .10's on mine. Yes, the necks break easy if you drop one. (This is especially true of the 3 piece maple necks from the 70's, which I might add, also have volutes.) Some Les Pauls weigh almost 12 LBS! Dropping one can do damage to a lot of things. Get some straplocks and don't act like Pete Townsend and your Gibson will be just fine. Anyone dropped a PRS on the headstock?

In my experience, Gibson's two-piece bridge/tailpiece system stays in tune extremely well. I've NEVER had one go out of tune because of the neck joint. And, for what it's worth, most Gibson necks attach at the 16th-18th fret not the 22nd.

Gibson has varied neck materials, shapes, neck glue joints and Corporate ownership many times over the past 50 year of making electric guitars. It's simply not accurate to make sweeping statements that lump them all together. I'll be the first to agree that some are better than others. But plenty of them are excellent guitars. Gibson has really stepped up the QC over the past couple of years and automated much of their production to eliminate variability. They are building some really nice stuff at the moment.

GD_NC said:
Gibson has really stepped up the QC over the past couple of years and automated much of their production to eliminate variability.
I hope so. Not many things are as classic as a Gibson Les Paul. I would love to own a few of them eventually, but quality scares the hell out of me. And I've heard of necks snapping for no good reason. Heard a few horror stories of guys that go to get their LPs out of the case to find the headstock snapped. Hope it doesn't happen to me!

GD_NC said:
Guitar GeeK said:

Wow! Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but the quote above is just ridiculous.

I've played and owned many Gibson over the past 25 years with models that have ranged from the mid 70's - 2009. An have never heard of, or seen, a headstock snapping off from heavy gauge strings. I've personally never used anything lighter than .10's on mine. Yes, the necks break easy if you drop one. (This is especially true of the 3 piece maple necks from the 70's, which I might add, also have volutes.) Some Les Pauls weigh almost 12 LBS! Dropping one can do damage to a lot of things. Get some straplocks and don't act like Pete Townsend and your Gibson will be just fine. Anyone dropped a PRS on the headstock?

In my experience, Gibson's two-piece bridge/tailpiece system stays in tune extremely well. I've NEVER had one go out of tune because of the neck joint. And, for what it's worth, most Gibson necks attach at the 16th-18th fret not the 22nd.

Gibson has varied neck materials, shapes, neck glue joints and Corporate ownership many times over the past 50 year of making electric guitars. It's simply not accurate to make sweeping statements that lump them all together. I'll be the first to agree that some are better than others. But plenty of them are excellent guitars. Gibson has really stepped up the QC over the past couple of years and automated much of their production to eliminate variability. They are building some really nice stuff at the moment.

First off, I was not talking about dropping the guitar, the neck could break at any time. Secondly, I know were the Gibson necks are attatched at, I was talking about were the neck exetends to.

Yeah, right :lol: .

Those Gibsons won't take any abuse. Here are pics of the '71 that I have owned for over 20 years. It is strung with .010-.046 strings tuned to standard E, and has been dropped at least once due to a failed Schaller straplock. Red loctite fixed the straplock problem, though. It also stays in tune quite well for its age. :roll: :roll: :roll:

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04195.jpg

JOEY B. said:

Those Gibsons won't take any abuse. Here are pics of the '71 that I have owned for over 20 years. It is strung with .010-.046 strings tuned to standard E, and has been dropped at least once due to a failed Schaller straplock. Red loctite fixed the straplock problem, though. It also stays in tune quite well for its age. :roll: :roll: :roll:

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04195.jpg
That's a beauty! I'll bet it sounds unbelievable too!

The Gibsons that don't take any abuse that I was referring to - don't know about the other guys - are the new ones. Go to a music store and try out a bunch of the new Gibson Les Pauls. Some are amazing and some feel very cheap. I've got an '06 that blows most right out of the water!

JOEY B. said:

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04195.jpg
I'll be darned, a valute!

mahogany isnt that light unlike maple so a les paul is a heavy guitar and more weight = more damage if it lands on its head

its just the way it is hence the big warm tone etc

maple is very hard and twangy just like the sound it gives

guitars aint designed to be dropped so by not dropping them there shouldnt be any problems. Its a living thing in a way being made of wood and they need cared for.
to my ears the tone a les paul produces is unbeatable

Guitar GeeK said:
Gibson has made Lp's with valutes(my '82 Custom,for ex.)-one of the biggest complaints was the fact the valute actually weakened the neck
-people actually use 9's on an LP? :lol:
-never had a problem with one going out of tune,either
-if you play at some of the places 'round here, you better have a meaty Paul close by-a "lite" guitar isn't gonna crack someone's redneck skull like a good ol' LP :D -of course, you gotta be big enough to swing one as well!
and btw, you righty's have it tough....talking about having to play/demo a few just to find a good one-try being lefty!we have to order them and hope for the best! :( ..guess thats why I am not too choosy!

Guitar GeeK said:
GD_NC said:
Guitar GeeK said:
They only have wood on their necks touch the body were the 22nd fret is. If you move around when you play, then the guitar will go out of tune left and right.

First off, I was not talking about dropping the guitar, the neck could break at any time. Secondly, I know were the Gibson necks are attatched at, I was talking about were the neck exetends to.
But that's not what you wrote. Being that the LP neck has 22 frets, the image conjured was virtually impossible, so I figured that's not what you meant.

The high strength of that neck joint contributes greatly to the famous LP sustain. Granted that not all are created equal, but the good ones are sublime!

I don't think anyone's knocking the durability and quality of a vintage or custom shop gibson. recent gibsons are the ones being referenced here for QC issues, at least by me.

Listen everyone trying to convince me that I'm wrong. I AM NOT GOING TO BE SWAYED. However, I will make exeptions.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx
MASSIVE G.A.S ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back