Cornford Amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
I just saw a promotional video for Cornford Amps featuring Guthrie Govan. What's the skinny on these amps. Any of you have one or tried one for a good review?

I heard about them. I think they're a UK boutique amplifier company that Satriani did some recording with.

Someone is going to chime in and say he using Peavey.
Yes he does use Peavey but if you read recent articles he does record with Peaveys, Conford and others, not exclusively with Peaveys. Two articles ago in Guitar Player Magazine he even recorded a track with a Dual Rectifier! :D

we had a ampfest last year, a guy there had the hurricane and the hellcat. pretty awsome range of sounds glassy cleans to a really over the top overdrive. price range is "boutique" to say the least.

zakk wylde and ritchie kotzen are some of the better known users.

Well, I tried a Cornford RKII 50 watt with a Sugi guitar. This was the sweetest, most awesome EL34 "Brit" style amp I have ever played. It had Fuchs' touch sensitivity but voiced how a marshall should have sounded. The only downer was the price. It costs MORE than a comparable Fuchs head. I'm afraid that as good as the Stilletto sounds, the Cornford is still MUCH better. So, this one will be in my "dream" column of Amps I would like to own...... :cry:

I had the hurricane combo 1x12 20 watts. i hated it, i t was very dark sounding and really not that much volume compared to other 20 watters that I have had. I was very disappointed. The higher powered Cornford amps might be better but the hurricane was a disappointment. the tough thing with these amps is you can't play them first, then you read a bunch of great reviews and then you spend your $1500 to $2000 and you hate the amp. Be careful IMHO.

I have spent more time with these amps and I am thinking about selling both my boogies to get one. I tried the lower wattage amps and did not care for them at all but the MK50H II is sweet. It has a Channel 1 clean with indepebdent eq and a Channel Two with two cascading gain sections that share the same eq. Two independant loops. This amp is awesome. I am going to spend more time with it this week before I make my final decision....

ursinus said:
I have spent more time with these amps and I am thinking about selling both my boogies to get one. I tried the lower wattage amps and did not care for them at all but the MK50H II is sweet. It has a Channel 1 clean with indepebdent eq and a Channel Two with two cascading gain sections that share the same eq. Two independant loops. This amp is awesome. I am going to spend more time with it this week before I make my final decision....

I have since repented of this thought! The Cornford sounds nice, but is noisy as heck, even with fresh tubes. Loud hiss when set to normal gigging or practice volume. Also, for the price I can buy TWO used MKIV heads. Maybe I'll try again in the future and re-evaluate. For now, I'm very happy with my MK IV set up...

David.W said:
What sound you after?

I like Guthrie Govan's nice woody lead tone, light crunch, and ability to play clean jazz chords. My MKIV does that well. The MK50II has two and 1/2 channels and can do what I'm after, but the cost is way over my budget. I play fusion, jazz, and blues. While I appreciate and like to hear the rectifier crunch from others, its not for the music I play.

Latest posts

Back