Converting 2x12 Recto cab to Roadking style cab...madness?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Ive had a Mark V for a few months now and Im really happy with it.Its currently going through a 2x12 horizontal recto cab with V30's.Before i picked up the cab i owned a Lonestar Special 1x12 and i played the mark V through the lonestars C90 speaker.Eventually i traded the lonestar for cash and the recto cab.Personally i prefer the sound of the C90 and an open back for clean tones as it has more top end and the v30 can be quite spikey and aggressive for my taste in cleans.Ive been planning to pick up the 1x12 open back wide body with the C90 to have along side the recto cab.It will be handy for recording cleans etc.A while back I noticed the roadking cabs have both the V30 and the C90 with the C90 side being open back.Picking up just a C90 would be a lot cheaper than a whole cab and cutting a hole in one side wouldnt be a big job (i know a few good carpenters).Is this just a silly idea though?I mean surely all the cabs are tuned a certain way with their dimensions and shape etc.Would butchering the recto cab just ruin the tone?Has anybody else tried this before?Cheers

diddlydan said:
Ive had a Mark V for a few months now and Im really happy with it.Its currently going through a 2x12 horizontal recto cab with V30's.Before i picked up the cab i owned a Lonestar Special 1x12 and i played the mark V through the lonestars C90 speaker.Eventually i traded the lonestar for cash and the recto cab.Personally i prefer the sound of the C90 and an open back for clean tones as it has more top end and the v30 can be quite spikey and aggressive for my taste in cleans.Ive been planning to pick up the 1x12 open back wide body with the C90 to have along side the recto cab.It will be handy for recording cleans etc.A while back I noticed the roadking cabs have both the V30 and the C90 with the C90 side being open back.Picking up just a C90 would be a lot cheaper than a whole cab and cutting a hole in one side wouldnt be a big job (i know a few good carpenters).Is this just a silly idea though?I mean surely all the cabs are tuned a certain way with their dimensions and shape etc.Would butchering the recto cab just ruin the tone?Has anybody else tried this before?Cheers

The roadking cab is also divided inside...

Back